Is there a website for Sarnath with contact info for temple?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
morning mist

Is there a website for Sarnath with contact info for temple?

Post by morning mist »

Is there a Sarnath website listing the contact info for the Temples at that site. I only saw info for Burmese temple there but no info for the Maha Bodhi Society in Sarnath or Japanese temple, Chinese Temple, Thai Temple, etc..This is one of the four important places, but there is no website for it .
with metta,
cooran

Re: Is there a website for Sarnath with contact info for temple?

Post by cooran »

Hello Morning Mist,

This isn't exactly what you are asking, but has a couple of telephone nos. - a quick call may get you whatever info you are looking for:

MONSTERIES IN SARNATH THAT ACCEPT OVERNIGHT GUESTS [........]
Dharmashala, the monastery operated by Sri Lanka’s Mahabodhi Society, is located on Sarnath’s main road, across from the park. The rooms are Spartan--bed frames with thin futons, a table and a broom--and Dharmashala’s electricity is unpredictable. Bathhouses, sinks and toilets are in the inner courtyard. You must pump your own bath and laundry water. Women and men bathe at different times, everyone remaining partially dressed. There are no other bathrooms and no cooking facilities.
Tibetan travelers--traders as well as pilgrims-- cook meals together in the evenings over fires in the courtyard. 50Rs/night.
The Dharmshala
Tel/fax: 91-542-385-380.
http://www.gonomad.com/lodgings/0010/da ... stery.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Accommodation in Sarnath: [......]
Mahabodhi Society Dharamshala, Sarnath.
Ph. (0542)2595955, Telefax : (0542)2595922 Fax 2595877
http://www.up-tourism.com/destination/s ... dation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Hi Cooran,

This is just the kind of information I am looking for . Thanks for posting it. :twothumbsup:
with metta,
Nori

Post by Nori »

Goenka also has a Vipassana Center in Sarnath:

Sarnath Vipassana Centre - Dhamma Cakka
Village Khargipur, Sarnath, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
India

Tel: [91] (0542) 320-8168

c/o Pramod Chandra Gupta
52, 53 Jawaharlal Nehru Complex, Englishia Line, Cantonment
Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, 221 002
India

Tel: [91] (0542) 324-6089

Satya Prakash
Mobile: [91] (0542) 324-6089
Email: [email protected]

How to get to the centre: Rickshaws [three-wheeler taxis] from Sarnath Museum
will take you to the Vipassana centre for Rs. 50

---

Regarding all temples in general: if it is not during any special time where there are many visitors, most temples will allow you to stay.
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Hi Nori,

I am also planning to attend a Goenka retreat. I am not sure what is the difference between the one in Jaipur, Sarnath, or Bodhgaya. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for sharing Nori.
with metta,
Nori

Post by Nori »

I've never been to a Goenka retreat in India so I can't tell you. I've only seen the Goenka centers from the outside in India. Almost every temple I decided to stay at was very welcoming, but be prepared - it is very basic. Some tips if never been to India (what an adventure) - Try to avoid going during the dry season (it is very difficult to travel around India during the dry season with lots of dust, likewise for the rainy season); try to go after the rainy season ends. Bring a light mosquito net that can go over a bed. In some places the mosquitoes can be ridiculous and the beds don't always have one. (Also Neem oil and Eucalyptus oil diluted in water or olive oil makes a good repellent.) If you don't want to constantly buy water, it makes sense to bring a small pump water filter. Katadyn makes some good ones. Many people there are accustomed to the water, but once I ran out of water in the middle of the night and decided I had to drink the local water. It tasted fine, but it turned out to be a disaster for several days. Bring a small flashlight and buy toilet paper when you are in town. Light long sleeve shirt and pants. Also try to avoid long distance over land travel. Try to fly as close as you can to your destination. Well, good luck if you go.
morning mist

Post by morning mist »

Nori wrote:I've never been to a Goenka retreat in India so I can't tell you. I've only seen the Goenka centers from the outside in India. Almost every temple I decided to stay at was very welcoming, but be prepared - it is very basic. Some tips if never been to India (what an adventure) - Try to avoid going during the dry season (it is very difficult to travel around India during the dry season with lots of dust, likewise for the rainy season); try to go after the rainy season ends. Bring a light mosquito net that can go over a bed. In some places the mosquitoes can be ridiculous and the beds don't always have one. (Also Neem oil and Eucalyptus oil diluted in water or olive oil makes a good repellent.) If you don't want to constantly buy water, it makes sense to bring a small pump water filter. Katadyn makes some good ones. Many people there are accustomed to the water, but once I ran out of water in the middle of the night and decided I had to drink the local water. It tasted fine, but it turned out to be a disaster for several days. Bring a small flashlight and buy toilet paper when you are in town. Light long sleeve shirt and pants. Also try to avoid long distance over land travel. Try to fly as close as you can to your destination. Well, good luck if you go.

Thanks for all the helpful tips, I would definitely need this . :thumbsup:
with metta,