Why isn't saddha a factor of awakening?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
phil

Why isn't saddha a factor of awakening?

Post by phil »

I wonder why saddha (faith/confidence) is an indriya (controlling faculty) but isn't one of the factors of awakening? I guess I don't understand the relationship between the indriyas and the awakening factors. Is saddha an indriya because the indriyas lay the groundwork for the awakening factors,but in the end saddha is no longer needed for awakening?
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
santa100

Re: Why isn't saddha a factor of awakening?

Post by santa100 »

Both Indriya (5 Faculties) and Bojjhanga (7 Factors) are sub-sets of the 37 Qualities (Bodhipakkhiyādhammā), which I don't think are executed in a "sequential" order. Besides, there're other qualities that are shared among the sub-sets: Viriya (Energy), Sati (Mindfulness) are in both Indriya and Bojjhanga. They're like interrelated components joined together thru a Venn diagram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venn_diagram" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)..
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

phil wrote:I wonder why saddha (faith/confidence) is an indriya (controlling faculty) but isn't one of the factors of awakening? I guess I don't understand the relationship between the indriyas and the awakening factors. Is saddha an indriya because the indriyas lay the groundwork for the awakening factors,but in the end saddha is no longer needed for awakening?
I think you may be right. Of the 37 factors those with lesser number of factors seem to belong to more preliminary practice, approximately, according to one theory on the matter at least.

Saddha is required for enlightenment- I read one sutta where it said that the five indriya grow gradually depending on how higher you go on the path. :anjali:

with metta

Matheesha

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
phil

Post by phil »

Thanks for your feedback.

I realized by asking this question that I might be coming back to an interest in kusala factors. When I first came across Dhamma I was all about loving the list of factors, trying to get them, but then perhaps wisely mived towards an emphasis on kilesa and undwrstanding how deep they are. Now slowly back towards an interest in kusala factors...?
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)