The middle way between accepting or fighting illness

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Suriyopama_

The middle way between accepting or fighting illness

Post by Suriyopama_ »

I go to bed around 09:00 10:00 and I automatically wake up every single night at 2:00. No matter if I practice or not practice meditation before going to bed. Then I take this oportunity to contemplate the body and... that´s all... not more sleep. And I wake up at 5:30 to practice 30 minutes meditation and go to work.

In the morning I am ok, but in the afternoon my mind is dull and my body tired, getting worst as the week advances.

A highly respected and venerated Thai Monk (not 100% theravada, rather this tyipical thaiforest-chinese-tibetan mix so common here in Thailand) says that I should not worry about it, because I have to accept death. If I don't do like that I will not "reach the Buddha".

Yes, I am aware that I am getting older, sick, and closer to death. It would be an experience to stay lying on bed contemplating how my body slowly decompose. But I have an obligation with my job. There is anorganization that is paying me, and I understand that it is my duty to respond proffesionally.

Is there any Sutta that clarifies this situation?

:namaste:

BTW: my nickname is Suriyopama, but I lost the password and the option to recover the password does not work. I´ve also written to the moderators with no luck :cry:
santa100

Re: The middle way between accepting or fighting illness

Post by santa100 »

Well, there's no way you'll be able to "reach the Buddha" with such sick body and stressful mental state, I can tell you that. Remember the Buddha's story? He tried self-mortification for a while and it obviously did not work. Finally He recognized that He's gotta eat, bathe, and sleep in order to make progress on the path. That's why He took the bowl of rice-milk from the maid Sujata. Your case is not too too bad. A balanced diet in combination with lots of exercises will fix it in no time. Cardio-vascular exercises are particularly helpful: jogging, walking, bicycling, swimming are all good. Remember to start out slowly and gradually if you've never done them before. If you have heart conditions, you might want to try tai-chi, or yoga. Of course, never slack off on your daily meditation. Best wishes and good luck...
befriend

Post by befriend »

buddhist teachers who have students with insomnia tell them to do metta, because it is a great way to combat insomnia, and it also causes pleasant dreams and gets rid of nightmares, makes you fall asleep easy, and wake up easy.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Suriyopama,

I sympathize with your situation. I wonder if by meditating at that time of the night- you are setting up an expectiation of sorts, and each time you meditate it tells your brain that you need to wake up again the next night for it. How about not meditating? Just lying in bed during that time might be boring enough to send you to sleep.

Its important to try and balance out your mind/body and getting enough sleep is important. If you were a monk or nun getting up at 2am might be ok- but you are not. Working full time means that you need to get more sleep than they do. Do not feel that getting atleast 6 hours at a strech is wrong. :zzz:

Good sleeping! :thumbsup:

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Suriyopama_

Post by Suriyopama_ »

Thank You very much for your kind replies.

Yes, I am aware that I have to practice more exercise. I have started to go to the swimming pool. Only 10 minutes the 1st day but I hope to progress gradually. :juggling:

Normally I do not fall sleep when practicing lying meditation. And when I practice walking meditation I accumulate so much energy that I am not able to sleep when I go to bed. So I am recently trying to avoid any kind of meditation before going to sleep, only in the morning. As you say, Matheesha, I fall sleep of boredom, but something rings the bell at exactly 2:00 every morning :tantrum:

Now it’s Monday, 13:00, And I’m fresh as a rose! :woohoo: I just start to feel some dullness late in the evening, and completely wasted (and eventually with migraines) from Friday to Sunday.

Santa100, your point is right: there is no need for a clarifying Sutta; the own story of the Buddha shows us the Middle Way, far from self-mortification.

As I don't know if I am going to die tomorrow, in 10 years, or in 40 years (now I am 45), I need to maintain a compromise with my job in order to survive, therefore I must take good care of my health. If I were a monk that could be a different story, because then I should keep a compromise only with Vinaya regulations. Less sleep = more meditation

Thank You
icyteru

Post by icyteru »

accepting or fighting illness?
option three: let go illness. :anjali:
The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world. http://realtruthlife.blogspot.com .
hermitwin

Post by hermitwin »

I used to have the same problems.
Obviously, your lifestyle is not working for you.
I solved my problem by completely changing my lifestyle.
I quit my job and work form home, flexible hours.

You need to change your life.
Long term insomnia is not good for you.