Sri Lankan Viharas

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Euclid

Sri Lankan Viharas

Post by Euclid »

Hi everyone!

Currently I'm looking for a physical sangha to take part in (not that I don't love DhammaWheel, of course!), but my choices are fairly limited, not from lack of opportunities but more from lack of transport/access.

There's one sangha that looks really good though. It's called Dhamma Gavesi, and it's right outside a train station which is only a quarter-of-an-hour ride away from my local station! Perfectly situated.

Does anybody know much about Sri Lankan sanghas? I only have experience (which in itself is extremely limited!) with Thai sanghas, can I expect any significant differences, cultural or otherwise? I don't know if the teachings are given in English, although the website itself is. I've emailed to clarify.

I myself am not Sri Lankan, and it appears the majority of lay buddhists who go there are; to be blunt, would the fact I'm not Sri Lankan present an obstacle to fitting in?

In any case, I plan on going out and investigating for myself first-hand, but I thought I'd consult with you all nonetheless and see what everybody's thoughts are.

Also, this is a total long shot, but I don't suppose any readers on here happened to be based in Wellington City and attend a regular service at Bodhinyanarama / some other Theravada monastery, and would be willing to carpool with me? That is to say, give me a lift there and back on their way seeing as I don't have a car? :tongue: Naturally I'd be more than willing to contribute towards petrol money.

With Metta
cooran

Re: Sri Lankan Viharas

Post by cooran »

Hello Euclid,

The Dhammagiri Forest Monastery in Queensland which I attend has a majority Sri Lankan lay community, with others from S.E. asia and european extraction.

They are very welcoming, and our ceremonies and dhamma talks are in english - but this is because the Abbott is German - but he was trained in Sri Lanka and currently has a bhikkhu with three Rains staying for a few months.

Your monastery sounds a little different.

Hopefully mikenz will see this post and may be able to add something.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Euclid,

I don't know about Wellington, but I've attended a few Dhamma discussions at the Sri Lankan place here in Christchurch (which is currently just a house). The standard of English of Sri Lankan people here is usually excellent, so I wouldn't be shy about approaching them.

:anjali:
Mike
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I haven't been to Dhamma Gavesi, even though it isn't far from where I live, but I suspect a lot of their activities will be in sinhalese.

I go to Bodhinyanarama occasionally and could give you a lift but if you let me know which suburb you are in I might be able to suggest somebody closer or more regular.

Have you been to the Wellington Insight meditation group? http://www.insightmeditation.org.nz/wik ... Wellington" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

Hi guys, thanks for your input. Hopefully this monastery is as good as your one sounds Chris!

Goofalholix; I live in Vogeltown (which is adjacent to Brooklyn), so if you live nearby Dhamma Gavesi then I'm much too far away to inconvenience you with lifts. But thank you very much for the offer!

I haven't been to the Wellington Insight meditation group, mainly because it doesn't have any monastics involved (from what I can tell), which is ideally what I'm after. Still, it can't hurt to meditate with like-minded people and discuss the dhamma with them, could it :D Have you been yourself?
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Euclid,

I think Sri Lankan temples are somewhat different from Thai ones. Often there is less emphasis on meditation, and perhaps more on fulfilling cultural roles the temple plays within the Sri lankan lay communities. However you might be pleasantly surprised sometimes! Hope it goes well, in any case.

with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

I don't know anyone in that area but I'm sure there probably are some regulars who travel from there.

I'd send a message to the monastery from their web site asking if they can put you in touch with somebody http://www.bodhinyanarama.net.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes I've been to the Insight Meditation group, I wouldn't let the lack of monastics put you off.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah