The Concept of a Dhamma Partner

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
fijiNut

The Concept of a Dhamma Partner

Post by fijiNut »

I am fortunate to be in a relationship with a serious Dhamma practitioner who also teaches the Dhamma in her spare time.

I have been wondering how other friends here on Dhammawheel have managed their relationships in lay life and made the relationship 'work' given the special circumstances of having Dhamma practice as a high priority agenda (in addition to mortgages, children, and careers !!).

Much metta.
Ben

Re: The Concept of a Dhamma Partner

Post by Ben »

Hi FijiNut
Sorry, its not clear whether you are seeking answers from people who have a spouse who is a co-practitioner or not or...both. Could you please clarify?
Thanks

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
fijiNut

Post by fijiNut »

Hi Ben,

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I meant having a spouse who is a co-practitioner.
:)

metta,
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Well I my wife is a 'co-practitioner' and as in all relationships we have our share of the arguments- sometimes about the amount of practice each of us does! But nevertheless it 'works'. We both have jobs and share our practice with our kalyanamittas helping others out. So I feel fortunate to be with someone who is practising the dhamma. Both of pay all our bills and keep things on an even keel. I have toyed with the idea of being a full time dhamma teacher but I think getting paid for it or living off it may lead to distorting what I teach so I rather work to keep the purity of the dhamma intact.

Having said that I have heard of christian preachers who's wives work for a living. So I wouldnt say that approach cannot work.

with metta

M
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

rowyourboat wrote:Well I my wife is a 'co-practitioner' and as in all relationships we have our share of the arguments- sometimes about the amount of practice each of us does!
I'm curious, are the arguments about doing too much or not enough?

While I can't really contribute to the thread since my wife is strongly Christian, I am curious about the OP... is the concern that both people practicing will spend too much time and focus doing it? It doesn't seem clear to me when I read the original question.
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Hi Andre

Well when you have a lot of enthusiasm for it, it can be difficult sometimes to reign in the horses! :jumping:

But no seriously, as long as each of us are careful to balance out our efforts then it is ok. :smile:

with metta

M
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Individual

Post by Individual »

fijiNut wrote:I am fortunate to be in a relationship with a serious Dhamma practitioner who also teaches the Dhamma in her spare time.

I have been wondering how other friends here on Dhammawheel have managed their relationships in lay life and made the relationship 'work' given the special circumstances of having Dhamma practice as a high priority agenda (in addition to mortgages, children, and careers !!).

Much metta.
Kalyanamittas are non-sexual spiritual friends. In Theravada, there is no spiritual wife or sexual yoga. :)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Where does it say that kalyanamittas are non-sexual. Care to quote?

with metta
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Viscid

Post by Viscid »

rowyourboat wrote:I think getting paid for it or living off it may lead to distorting what I teach so I rather work to keep the purity of the dhamma intact.
Why do you believe you'd distort what you teach if you lived off it? Due to the need to appeal to many people, and perhaps focus on what's popular over more mundane aspects?
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

Viscid wrote:
rowyourboat wrote:I think getting paid for it or living off it may lead to distorting what I teach so I rather work to keep the purity of the dhamma intact.
Why do you believe you'd distort what you teach if you lived off it? Due to the need to appeal to many people, and perhaps focus on what's popular over more mundane aspects?
Yes, exactly!!

"[1] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak step-by-step.'

"[2] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak explaining the sequence [of cause & effect].'

"[3] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak out of compassion.'

"[4] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak not for the purpose of material reward.'

"[5] The Dhamma should be taught with the thought, 'I will speak without hurting myself or others.'[1]
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
Hanzze

Post by Hanzze »

_/\_
Last edited by Hanzze on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just that! *smile*
...We Buddhists must find the courage to leave our temples and enter the temples of human experience, temples that are filled with suffering. If we listen to Buddha, Christ, or Gandhi, we can do nothing else. The refugee camps, the prisons, the ghettos, and the battlefields will become our temples. We have so much work to do. ... Peace is Possible! Step by Step. - Samtach Preah Maha Ghosananda "Step by Step" http://www.ghosananda.org/bio_book.html

BUT! it is important to become a real Buddhist first. Like Punna did: Punna Sutta Nate sante baram sokham _()_
Prasadachitta

Post by Prasadachitta »

Hi FijiNut,

My wife and I both practice the Dhamma. Helping each other to better understand and be aware of our patterns of behavior has become a central part of our relationship. I cant say this is always easy but I think the alternative is not desirable. Supporting each other in our practice and through that looking to be supportive to our community and beyond is the central ideal of our relationship. I know that renunciation is a key aspect of the path and I strive to keep that in mind. I also see that working creatively with this current condition which am awakening to find myself in is where I am at. My wife has had a huge impact in helping to make me the man I am today. We have been together for twelve years and I have benefited a great deal from her companionship. She a truly beautiful human being with just enough faults to keep me on my toes. I certainly keep her on her toes. :D

Take Care

Gabe
"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332
fijiNut

Post by fijiNut »

Thanks RYB & Gabe,

I really appreciate your feedback, it is inspiring to know that there is a path in Dhamma practice for two.

I think it is very sweet to know that there are others out there in lay life who are mutually supporting each other in Dhamma practice, and personally I find my partner complements me in various ways, there are qualities that I would like to develop that I see in her, and vice versa.
We certainly keep each other 'on our toes' in regards to our behaviour in regards to the Dhamma and we can openly point each others faults/defilements.
We have a shared goal of developing in Dhamma ourselves and helping our group of friends as much as possible and sharing the Dhamma wherever possible with even perhaps the aspiration to go 'all out' on intense practice in the later part of our lives (with 8 precepts or more).

There are still attachments though in the relationship but I guess its a halfway point between a dusty/worldly materialistic lay life and the full renunciation into homelessness.
Individual

Post by Individual »

rowyourboat wrote:Where does it say that kalyanamittas are non-sexual. Care to quote?

with metta
Non-sexual was perhaps the wrong word. "Asexual"?

Sexual attraction is not a relevant factor I've ever heard mentioned. :)
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra