Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Nibbida

Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

Post by Nibbida »

Sharon Salzberg has written:

"There is a saying in the Buddhist tradition: 'You can explore the universe looking for somebody who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and you will not find that person anywhere.'"

For the life of me, I can't find the sutta but I'm fairly sure that I've read it before.

Thanks!
Individual

Re: Which sutta is this from? (self-compassion)

Post by Individual »

Me too. I vaguely remember it being a discussion between a queen and... a king? The Buddha, in a past life?

But it's a sutta, not a Jataka.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Jason

Post by Jason »

Nibbida wrote:Sharon Salzberg has written:

"There is a saying in the Buddhist tradition: 'You can explore the universe looking for somebody who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and you will not find that person anywhere.'"

For the life of me, I can't find the sutta but I'm fairly sure that I've read it before.

Thanks!
It's in SN 3.8.
"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (AN 7.58).

leaves in the hand (Buddhist-related blog)
leaves in the forest (non-Buddhist related blog)
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

Jason wrote:

Thanks!
Sounds like a hella loose paraphrase of SN 3.8 to me.

I don't think so. Shortly thereafter she writes:

"The Buddha said, "If you truly loved yourself, you would never harm another." Harming another is like harming ourselves..."
(from: http://www.enotalone.com/article/4956.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

So it sounds like she is distinguishing between those two, otherwise she wouldn't have quoted it the second way in addition to the first.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Nibbida wrote:
Jason wrote:

Thanks!
Sounds like a hella loose paraphrase of SN 3.8 to me.

I don't think so. Shortly thereafter she writes:

"The Buddha said, "If you truly loved yourself, you would never harm another." Harming another is like harming ourselves..."
(from: http://www.enotalone.com/article/4956.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

So it sounds like she is distinguishing between those two, otherwise she wouldn't have quoted it the second way in addition to the first.
Still sounds like SN 3.8 to me:
  • [The Blessed One was at Saavatthii]

At this time King Pasenadi of Kosala was on the upper terrace of the palace with Queen Mallikaa. And the king asked her: "Mallikaa, is there anyone dearer to you than yourself?"

"Your Majesty, there is no one dearer to me than myself. And you, sire, is anyone dearer to you than yourself?"

"Nor is there anyone dearer to me, Mallikaa, than myself."

Then the king went down from the palace and visited the Blessed One [and told him the whole story.] And the Blessed One, understanding, thereupon uttered this verse:
    • Though in thought we range throughout the world,
      We'll nowhere find a thing more dear than self.
      So, since others hold the self so dear,
      He who loves himself should injure none.

Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

I see what you mean. For some reason, I still have the vague memory that it's stated in the first way somewhere else in the suttas. I can't be sure though.

But thanks nonetheless.
Jason

Post by Jason »

Nibbida wrote:I see what you mean. For some reason, I still have the vague memory that it's stated in the first way somewhere else in the suttas. I can't be sure though.

But thanks nonetheless.
It's certainly possible. You'll often find the same suttas, or at least different variations of particular themes, in more than one place in the Canon. This is the only version I'm aware of, though.