How common is stream entry?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
PeterB

Re: How common is stream entry?

Post by PeterB »

I did. You said that you realised that you could change traffic lights by an act of will by doing a mudra at just the right moment. Which prompted a response from another former member saying that she could do that sort of thing too. The particular member in question stated in her link that she thought that the White Lions of Africa were Divine Incarnations.
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

That would be a handy skill to have!

I want it!

V.

NB - and Peter - of course the white lions are divine incarnations - everybody knows that!
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
octathlon

Post by octathlon »

PeterB wrote:I did. You said that you realised that you could change traffic lights by an act of will by doing a mudra at just the right moment. Which prompted a response from another former member saying that she could do that sort of thing too.
What's so hard about that? I'm great at it. I can make 'em turn red every time without even trying. :D
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Vepacitta wrote:That would be a handy skill to have!

I want it!
In some cities, it's not that hard to do. All you have to do is drive the speed limit. For example, in Denver the traffic lights are time coordinated so that if you drive the speed limit, you will make all green lights. They even adjust it a little for rush hours and higher traffic times so that if you stay in the flow of traffic without changing lanes and driving aggressively, you can make the green lights. No special powers, needed, just the compassion to drive the speed limit and not put others' safety at risk. :smile:
Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Brilliant, David!

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

David N. Snyder wrote:
Vepacitta wrote:That would be a handy skill to have!

I want it!
In some cities, it's not that hard to do. All you have to do is drive the speed limit. For example, in Denver the traffic lights are time coordinated so that if you drive the speed limit, you will make all green lights. They even adjust it a little for rush hours and higher traffic times so that if you stay in the flow of traffic without changing lanes and driving aggressively, you can make the green lights. No special powers, needed, just the compassion to drive the speed limit and not put others' safety at risk. :smile:
Or the akusala aversion to hiting a red...

Kevin
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

From Zen Forum International:
Re: Friends
by BuddhiHermit on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:14 pm

I was reflecting on green lights today, and I realised that I have been changing them at will for the last 6 months at least.

There are 3 sets located in power places, obviously, along my path to work.

I have found that by merely willing it, these lights change to green every time I approach.

Mind you, it is not down to simple willing, but requires a special hand mudra to be performed at each location. Thankfully, it is the same mudra for all 3, and it is guaranteed to work every time after sunset. Peter B, you may wish to try it yourself, and discover your own power places.

I have found that willing my left hand to reach forward, while driving, and approaching a red light, that I can cause the light to change to green, as mentioned. The trick is mainly in performing the mudra correctly, as I have found I must reach out towards the steering wheel, placing the heel of that hand on the wheel, at about the centre of the rim. Then I must curl my fingers inward until they meet resistance. Pressing on through the resistance causes a clicking sound, a blue light (probably manifesting from the third eye) appears on the dashboard, and there is a sudden increase in the intensity of light right before me. Clearly, the manifestation of such power causes the offending traffic light to change to green.
No doubt we can hear Foghorn Leghorn
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kenshou

Post by Kenshou »

What the heck am I reading?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Kenshou wrote:What the heck am I reading?
The msg directly above yours is from Zen Forum International. It is the msg that PeterB alluded to several msgs above.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

BuddhiHermit wrote:My experience suggests that close to 10% of the population have experienced stream entry where that is defined as a Transpersonal experience. (Can we avoid getting bogged down in detailed proscriptions and definitions?)

Perhaps 2% of those have any idea of what it's about. The rest try and forget it, as it just complicates an already difficult life.

1% or less, try to build on the experience.

Knowing this makes minimal difference to one's progress along the Way.

On the other hand, isn't it wonderful, just BEING a Stream enterer, or maybe an Arahant.

The only problem I have found, is that the moisture from the stream tends to dissolve the adhesive of those Gold or red or blue stickers, - but if you look carefully, you can still see where they have been. :sage:
I have qualms about referring on one forum to another. But I am grateful that Tilt reproduced the above post from ZFI because a current concern I have is the claiming of attainments, and I think Buddhihermits references to the wonderful nature of BEING a Stream enterer or may be an Arahant needed a context.
The context of the thread Tilt has quoted from makes it clear that the claim to change traffic lights was not a humorous claim.
Furthermore it was in conversation with two other people not currently posting on ZFI who I would suspect may have problems with reality. If on the other hand it was an attempt at humour the other people involved seemed to take it quite seriously and one suggested that such powers are known to her too. She was not corrected. Either by Buddhihermit or anyone else. It appears to be a claim to some kind of attainment.
Ben

Post by Ben »

PeterB wrote: I have qualms about referring on one forum to another. But I am grateful that Tilt reproduced the above post from ZFI because a current concern I have is the claiming of attainments, and I think Buddhihermits references to the wonderful nature of BEING a Stream enterer or may be an Arahant needed a context.
Indeed. I didn't jump in earlier as I thought Buddhihermit was doing a great job of contradicting his own claim. 'Emperor's new clothes' so to speak.
PeterB wrote:The context of the thread Tilt has quoted from makes it clear that the claim to change traffic lights was not a humorous claim. Furthermore it was in conversation with two other people not currently posting on ZFI who I would suspect may have problems with reality.
I thought the added post from ZFI, even without your additional contextual information, was very telling. But thanks for providing the additional information.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Green Light thread

BuddhiHermit, you seem to be implying that you are at least a stream-winner in your msgs here.

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

For anyone who follows the link, just to make it clear that my concerns were not about genkaku who is one of the sanest people I know, nor Linda nor Luz...
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

PeterB wrote:For anyone who follows the link, just to make it clear that my concerns were not about genkaku who is one of the sanest people I know, nor Linda nor Luz...
We do not need to re-litigate an old thread from another forum, but this msg http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... =60#p85127" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; above does raise a question or two.

beeblebrox

Post by beeblebrox »

PeterB wrote:I did. You said that you realised that you could change traffic lights by an act of will by doing a mudra at just the right moment.
I thought that this was meant to be taken ironically, like, if you're able to do a mudra right before the light changes, it might as well seem like you're doing it at your will. It's like some kind of synchronicity. What Tilt posted tells a completely different story. :jawdrop: