How common is stream entry?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Reductor

Re: How common is stream entry?

Post by Reductor »

divine wrote:Why all this sceptism on a Buddhist discussion forum? I guess it all boils down to your belief: am I a liar, a ignorant or a stream enterer. Thanks for your input guys, but YES, I AM SURE!
Scepticism is normal here. Don't take it personally. As it is, there have been many 'enlightened' beings dropping into the forum to declare that everyone here is wrong, wrong, wrong in their understanding of and approach to the dhamma. After a while, all claims about attainment puts people on edge.

This problem is in addition to the unverifiable nature of claims, along with the easily self-deluded nature of the human mind: people often believe themselves to be something more, or less, than they actually are.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

divine wrote:Why all this sceptism on a Buddhist discussion forum? I guess it all boils down to your belief: am I a liar, a ignorant or a stream enterer. Thanks for your input guys, but YES, I AM SURE!
Why all this skepticism? No one said you are a liar. As for being ignorant, you have admitted as much, and as for being sotapanna, having a really nifty experience that blows the socks off your sense of self, while being a really nifty experience (or set of experiences), does not necessarily make one a sotapanna, but you have gotten good advice here: don't tie oneself to any experience, don't let such an experience become a credential, and continue to do the practice. And as for "YES, I AM SURE," there is never, ever a need to lock oneself into adamantine surety. Awakening tends to be a bit more subtle.

But no need here to defend your claim. It will speak for itself. In the meantime, welcome to Dhamma Wheel, and please feel free to avail yourself of all that it has to offer.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
khlawng

Post by khlawng »

divine wrote:PS. "I" is like... you know :quote: ;)
Seems like the concept of self is abandoned. Your post looks like you have gotten rid of doubt. I also assume you do not participate in wrongful rites and ceremonies.

If that is indeed the case, Saddhu Saddhu Saddhu! Now the real work begins. May you achieve Nibbana in this lifetime my friend.

P/S: Ignore the doubters, they are still mirred in vicikiccha, unable to move on.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

khlawng wrote:
P/S: Ignore the doubters, they are still mirred in vicikiccha, unable to move on.
You don't know that to be true.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
divine

...---... How common is stream entry?

Post by divine »

I know this has been talked about before, and I am sorry if I break some forum rules by doing this, but as a recent stream enterer I am curious to know:

Are you or do you know anyone who believe to be, AND you too believe to be, a stream enterer?

Lets accept the claims - leave sceptisism and discussion out of it. :toast:

Maybe it is too much to ask people with current or prior mental issues to refrain themselves from contributing, as they off course could just as easily become a stream enterer, but remember the situation of the easily self-deluded nature of the human mind. And the many 'enlightened' beings dropping into the forum to declare that everyone here is wrong, wrong, wrong in their understanding of and approach to the dhamma. (thanks Reductor <-- lots of good sceptisism and discussion going on here!)

Once again, so to be sure everyone gets the picture: I hope for this thread to be without discussion, a simple "I know of three living individuals" will suffice, even if you happen to be one of them. And let it be up to the author of the post to define the criteria, since there are some different ones, but feel free to share your definition. I truly believe such a thread will be of benefit, so don't clutter it.

For the sake of usefulness and your own liberation, be truthful. :twothumbsup:

Edit: It seemes the moderators merged the two threads, this post was originally the first post in a thread I created in the Open Dhamma forum, but apparantly because the contributors didn't stay on topic it was no point in having two of the same. Like someone said: This thread should be called "Why isn't stream entry common", while my failed attempt was to create a pure thread to easily get some overview of how common it is - in Open Dhamma, not Modern Theravada. Just so it's said. Edit 3: Paint RED!

:anjali:
Last edited by divine on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
One should believe it could be beneficial to post information about attainment in a thread like "How common is stream entry?", but I had no idea you are regularly vitnessing these claims and often there are something else behind it. You have been great giving only kind advice and healthy scepticism. Metta!
Ben

Post by Ben »

divine wrote:Why all this sceptism on a Buddhist discussion forum?
No negativity. The advice has been to encourage the investigation of all all arisen states, and their nature - very keenly and very honestly. As I have inferred and Tilt has said - ordinary experiences can mimic awakening. We all need to take that advice on when such experiences occur.
divine wrote:I guess it all boils down to your belief:
Actually, it has nothing to do with belief.
divine wrote:am I a liar, a ignorant or a stream enterer. Thanks for your input guys, but YES, I AM SURE!
No one has imputed that you are a liar. And until we become arahants, we all suffer from ignorance and delusional thinking.

Anyway, welcome to Dhamma Wheel. And I hope in time that you will appreciate the advice and good will being shown to you.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
tiltbillings

Re: ...---... How common is stream entry?

Post by tiltbillings »

Over the past 44 years, I have known a number of individuals who are likely genuinely ariya, but the number of those who imagine they are ariya is far greater, and they tend to be far noisier.

khlawng

Post by khlawng »

tiltbillings wrote:
khlawng wrote:
You don't know that to be true.
My apologies. You are right.
divine

Post by divine »

Haha, I like this forum! I think I will fit right in, but then with another username, I already feel the pressure :hug:
One should believe it could be beneficial to post information about attainment in a thread like "How common is stream entry?", but I had no idea you are regularly vitnessing these claims and often there are something else behind it. You have been great giving only kind advice and healthy scepticism. Metta!
khlawng

Post by khlawng »

divine wrote:... I already feel the pressure :hug:
Oops, did you just slip back out of stream entry?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

divine wrote: but then with another username,
Please clarify this statement.

divine

Post by divine »

Of course I can clarify! I understand why people don't talk about their stream entry, but if done anonymously there is some gain of doing it. And because I think I will find this forum useful I would like to keep hanging around, but not with the claim of beeing a stream enterer. You see?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

divine wrote:Of course I can clarify! I understand why people don't talk about their stream entry, but if done anonymously there is some gain of doing it. And because I think I will find this forum useful I would like to keep hanging around, but not with the claim of beeing a stream enterer. You see?
If you want to change your user name, you need to contact one of the administrators. See the TOS #3.

Ben

Post by Ben »

divine wrote:Of course I can clarify! I understand why people don't talk about their stream entry, but if done anonymously there is some gain of doing it. And because I think I will find this forum useful I would like to keep hanging around, but not with the claim of beeing a stream enterer. You see?
As per our Terms of Service: one account per user only. Its actually a condition of your membership and the establishment of more than one account is grounds for a permanent ban. If you wish to change your username - you need to contact myself or David N. Snyder (site admin/owner) and we can make that change.

Alternatively, if you feel that you are now uncomfortable following the advice you received as a result of making a claim of attainment - all you need to is not mention it (your claim) and perhaps change the content in your signature field.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
plwk

Post by plwk »

Great...just what we need...another sotapanna who doesn't know a forum's rules on double nicking.... :tongue: