kamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
heraclito27

kamma

Post by heraclito27 »

Hello,

If I help someone with the only intention to get something back, this is skillful kamma or unskillful kamma?
Ben

Re: kamma

Post by Ben »

Hi hereclito

It would depend on that which is conditioning the intention to get the something back. For example, if your intention was conditioned by greed, aversion, ignorance or something a bit more wholesome.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
heraclito27

Post by heraclito27 »

Hi Ben,

Then any action motivated by greed is unskillful? For example, working extra time to have more money? Or eat more than necessary?
Those actions will bring painful result in this or future life?
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes,that is right. Not only will unwholesome mind states condition dukkha at some point in the future, but in the present as well. My teacher has a great way of explaining that when we harm another, the first person we harm is ourselves. And the same goes for situations where we are craving some outside object,whether it is money, food, someone else's body or whatever. When we crave something we are also dissatisfied with our current situation. When we crave, any thrill of anticipation is matched by a corresponding dissatisfaction with our current situation. And this dissonance accentuates the dukkha.
There's an excellent study guide on kamma on Access to Insight: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/kamma.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's also an excellent section on kamma in A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma, which lists the different types of kamma. I don't have my copy with me at the moment, but if you have access to a copy, it might be worth checking out.
Other members may also be able to provide you with other references suitable for your line of enquiry.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
heraclito27

Post by heraclito27 »

Hi Ben, thanks for your kind answer.

I don't have the book you suggested, but I found "Abhidhamma in Daily life" by Nina Van Gorkom, wich gives lot of interesting details about how things work.

Regards.