Many lifetimes of paramita development needed to be aryan?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Brizzy

Re: Many lifetimes of paramitta development needed to be aryan?

Post by Brizzy »

Ben wrote:Hi Venerable
has the "General Theravada Forum" become the "Sutta & Vinaya Only Forum"? Not that I know of.
Not that I know of either!
Thanks for your great reply. If you get the time, would you kindly translate the pali in your above post?
many thanks

Ben
Does anyone know of one? :stirthepot:

Ians of lifetimes, what a horrible thought :thinking:

If the ten paramis were of such vital importance, you would have thought that the Buddha might have mentioned them once or twice.

:smile:
Ben

Re: Many lifetimes of paramita development needed to be aryan?

Post by Ben »

Brizzy,
What is an Ian?

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Brizzy wrote:Does anyone know of one? :stirthepot:
Well, you could try the Early Buddhism sub-forum. It wasn't really established as a place to hide from later views, but could serve that purpose if you wanted it to.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

Ben wrote:Brizzy,
What is an Ian?

Ben
It is a play on words.

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Just so long as you weren't referring to...

A few minutes of this Iain is painful enough, let alone countless of aeons of Ian.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Brizzy

Post by Brizzy »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Brizzy wrote:Does anyone know of one? :stirthepot:
Well, you could try the Early Buddhism sub-forum. It wasn't really established as a place to hide from later views, but could serve that purpose if you wanted it to.

Metta,
Hi Retro

I've briefly checked it out. I dont think I could hide out there. :soap:

Thats one scary ensemble. Braces with jeans!

gene

Post by gene »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I find it rather ironic that this thread has quickly become one of the longest threads on the forum.
:rofl:

I got this far and almost lost the will to live, let alone continue my practice. Think I will bail out of reading the remaining 15 pages. Thanks for saving me, Bhante. :tongue:

Interesting debate, though.

Cheers
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

gene wrote:
Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I find it rather ironic that this thread has quickly become one of the longest threads on the forum.
:rofl:

I got this far and almost lost the will to live, let alone continue my practice. Think I will bail out of reading the remaining 15 pages. Thanks for saving me, Bhante.

Interesting debate, though.

Cheers
You would have done well to stop after this msg: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 503#p54503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

From the Dhammapada...
235-36. Like a withered leaf are you now; death's messengers await you. You stand on the eve of your departure, yet you have made no provision for your journey! Make an island for yourself! Strive hard and become wise! Rid of impurities and cleansed of stain, you shall enter the celestial abode of the Noble Ones.

237-38. Your life has come to an end now; You are setting forth into the presence of Yama, the king of death. No resting place is there for you on the way, yet you have made no provision for the journey! Make an island unto yourself! Strive hard and become wise! Rid of impurities and cleansed of stain, you shall not come again to birth and decay.
Source: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
pelletboy

Post by pelletboy »

Yes, I would ask why the ten paramis were not given emphasis by the Awakened One when it is the catalyst for achieving enlightenment.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

pelletboy wrote:Yes, I would ask why the ten paramis were not given emphasis by the Awakened One when it is the catalyst for achieving enlightenment.
Hello pelletboy. Maybe your thoughts aren't very clear on this. The Ten Parami are:

Dāna pāramī : generosity, giving of oneself
Sīla pāramī : virtue, morality, proper conduct
Nekkhamma pāramī : renunciation
Paññā pāramī : transcendental wisdom, insight
Viriya (also spelt vīriya) pāramī : energy, diligence, vigour, effort
Khanti pāramī : patience, tolerance, forbearance, acceptance, endurance
Sacca pāramī : truthfulness, honesty
Adhiṭṭhāna (adhitthana) pāramī : determination, resolution
Mettā pāramī : loving-kindness
Upekkhā (also spelt upekhā) pāramī : equanimity, serenity

The Buddha certainly gave a lot of emphasis to all of these. As the practical Path he taught the Eight-Fold Path. One who practices that will practice the perfections by way of it.
icyteru

Post by icyteru »

Brizzy wrote:
Ben wrote:Hi Venerable
has the "General Theravada Forum" become the "Sutta & Vinaya Only Forum"? Not that I know of.
Not that I know of either!
Thanks for your great reply. If you get the time, would you kindly translate the pali in your above post?
many thanks

Ben
Does anyone know of one? :stirthepot:

Ians of lifetimes, what a horrible thought :thinking:

If the ten paramis were of such vital importance, you would have thought that the Buddha might have mentioned them once or twice.

of course. you can read it in jataka and buddhavamsa.
The most complete english tipitaka on the internet world. http://realtruthlife.blogspot.com .