Buddha shrine at home

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
D1W1

Buddha shrine at home

Post by D1W1 »

Hi guys,

When we/Buddhists do Paritta chanting, we normally do it in front of Buddha shrine/statue. Does it make a difference if we chant without Buddha statue?

Sometimes in the house there are arguments. Not everyone has big dedicated room for the shrine, does that make our kamma somehow heavier because of the argument happens in front of the shrine for example?

Edit:
Naga or deva is often said can come and visit Buddha shrine. If wholesome beings present when the arguments happen, will that make the kamma somehow become weightier?
Thanks
Last edited by D1W1 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
D1W1

Re: Buddha shrine at home

Post by D1W1 »

Anyone?
chownah

Post by chownah »

My view is that your attitude and state of mind is the most important thing. If the presence of a buddha statue helps with this then that is a benefit. If you can develop the correct state of mind without the statue (or anything else for that matter) then the benefits will be the same.
chownah
rajitha7

Post by rajitha7 »

The Buddha statues and temples came after Buddha passed. He never said to build temples for him. Buddha advises Ven. Ananda the following.
"Now I am frail, Ananda, old, aged, far gone in years. This is my eightieth year, and my life is spent. Even as an old cart, Ananda, is held together with much difficulty, so the body of the Tathagata is kept going only with supports. It is, Ananda, only when the Tathagata, disregarding external objects, with the cessation of certain feelings, attains to and abides in the signless concentration of mind, that his body is more comfortable.

Therefore, Ananda, be islands unto yourselves, refuges unto yourselves, seeking no external refuge; with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, seeking no other refuge.

- Maha-parinibbana Sutta
There really should not be any other refuge than the Dhamma.

Although the image of the Buddha in a peaceful and serene environment might prove beneficial in some circumstances.
It's all -> here
D1W1

Post by D1W1 »

rajitha7 wrote:The Buddha statues and temples came after Buddha passed. He never said to build temples for him. Buddha advises Ven. Ananda the following.
"Now I am frail, Ananda, old, aged, far gone in years. This is my eightieth year, and my life is spent. Even as an old cart, Ananda, is held together with much difficulty, so the body of the Tathagata is kept going only with supports. It is, Ananda, only when the Tathagata, disregarding external objects, with the cessation of certain feelings, attains to and abides in the signless concentration of mind, that his body is more comfortable.

Therefore, Ananda, be islands unto yourselves, refuges unto yourselves, seeking no external refuge; with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, seeking no other refuge.

- Maha-parinibbana Sutta
chownah wrote:My view is that your attitude and state of mind is the most important thing. If the presence of a buddha statue helps with this then that is a benefit. If you can develop the correct state of mind without the statue (or anything else for that matter) then the benefits will be the same.
chownah

There really should not be any other refuge than the Dhamma.

Although the image of the Buddha in a peaceful and serene environment might prove beneficial in some circumstances.
So I think the idea of above question is more about cultural belief. The same as doing chanting or putting Buddha statue at the highest floor of a dwelling, is that right?