Doubting supernatural side of Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Aloka

Re: Doubting supernatural side of Buddhism

Post by Aloka »

The Thinker wrote: I make it clear I was not meditating or involved with any kind of study in Buddhism at that time,
Had you been taking any recreational drugs ? (I think its quite common for people to have unusual experiences after taking/smoking drugs)

The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

No Aloka, I was 42, my drug experiment years were over in my mid-20s, those were different experiences, very different, and I could tell a story from that period, but do not wish to encourage that kind of behaviour.
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

I have in 50years encountered some unusual happenings mainly dreams then deja vu like experience, some not, but enough for a not believer like myself at that time, to have to change my own view of the reality I thought did not exist.

I dream winners, :smile:
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I think its definately possible to have glimpses of precognition sometimes, both in dreams and in the waking state - but personally I wouldn't really define that as being something "supernatural".

The poster in the OP also said: "hungry ghosts, hell realm, magic," which is rather different.

:anjali:
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

The profound or recurring dreams stay with you, the unique ones blow your mind.

one dream that recurs even now is being on an island surrounded by the sea and the sea engulfing the island as I run around trying to escape.

One that did not reoccur is when i am in what i can only describe as a ghenkis khan like country and I am on the back of a gypsy caravan pulled by a horse I think,in a desert-like area with my wife, we are attached and my heart cut out and shown me before darkness. That felt very real.

Anyway not sure why I shared that, but those with an eye may understand?
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

The Thinker wrote:The profound or recurring dreams stay with you, the unique ones blow your mind.

one dream that recurs even now is being on an island surrounded by the sea and the sea engulfing the island as I run around trying to escape.

One that did not reoccur is when i am in what i can only describe as a ghenkis khan like country and I am on the back of a gypsy caravan pulled by a horse I think,in a desert-like area with my wife, we are attached and my heart cut out and shown me before darkness. That felt very real.

Anyway not sure why I shared that, but those with an eye may understand?
We all have weird dreams at times - and often they're an indication of anxieties and stresses during our awake time, mixed in with things we've seen or heard at work, on TV ....and so on. (Or even as a result of an imbalance from eating & drinking too much!)

Anyway... :focus:
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

Hi Aloka I think the supernatural as a word is deceiving(exaggerated), experiences can be much more mundane or scary dependent upon the situations.

One person's sight(vision,etc) may differ from the next, it may be a unique, and some out their may experience more, myself I am limited to a handful.

But I can dream with the best of em :)

Aloka we are on topic.
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Ryan95227 wrote:Hello, I was wondering if any of you actually believe in hungry ghosts, hell realm, magic, or other seemingly "supernatural" part of buddhism. I just can't imagine Buddha actually talking about this stuff. These stuff makes buddhism seem like other religions.(i.e jesus walking on water) Do you guys actually believe in this? I'm just very confused because I thought Buddhism was mainly about ending the cycle of suffering for human beings. Idk why Buddha would even mention those. It just seems like made up myth.
This is a long video, so I'll highlight parts that I find interesting...

Speaking of other religions...25:05 -- 30:00

Near death experience...non-religious family...merit ...and the power of metta... 51:17 -- 59:00

"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Thisperson

Post by Thisperson »

Thanks for posting those talks, Kusala!
Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Thisperson wrote:Thanks for posting those talks, Kusala!
You're welcome. I enjoy hearing accounts of monks and lay practitioners... Albert Einstein once said, "the only source of knowledge is experience".

Here's another interesting video...was this monk really possessed by an "asura"?

He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

Kusala

Post by Kusala »

Varanasi...burning bodies...24:14 -- 32:40

schakma94

Post by schakma94 »

Ryan95227 wrote:Hello, I was wondering if any of you actually believe in hungry ghosts, hell realm, magic, or other seemingly "supernatural" part of buddhism. I just can't imagine Buddha actually talking about this stuff. These stuff makes buddhism seem like other religions.(i.e jesus walking on water) Do you guys actually believe in this? I'm just very confused because I thought Buddhism was mainly about ending the cycle of suffering for human beings. Idk why Buddha would even mention those. It just seems like made up myth.
These supernatural things are the part of the Right View. If you want to reach nibbana, you need to believe in these things. I think you know the fourth noble truth, the path leading to nibbana. This path consists of eight factors. The first and foremost factor is the Right view. I call it as the Right Mindset. It requires you to set your mind at a right channel, that is, believe in kamma and its effects, afterlife (hells and heavens). There are numerous discourses where Buddha tells about Devas visiting him. FOr example see the Atanatiya Sutta in the Digha Nikaya. And the Devata Samyutta in the Samyutta Nikaya. In numerous discouses Buddha tells us how to see them through meditation, through divine eyes. Still you remain skeptic!
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

schakma94 wrote:
These supernatural things are the part of the Right View. If you want to reach nibbana, you need to believe in these things. I think you know the fourth noble truth, the path leading to nibbana. This path consists of eight factors. The first and foremost factor is the Right view. I call it as the Right Mindset. It requires you to set your mind at a right channel, that is, believe in kamma and its effects, afterlife (hells and heavens). There are numerous discourses where Buddha tells about Devas visiting him. FOr example see the Atanatiya Sutta in the Digha Nikaya. And the Devata Samyutta in the Samyutta Nikaya. In numerous discouses Buddha tells us how to see them through meditation, through divine eyes. Still you remain skeptic!
Hi schakma94 and welcome to the forum.

You'll find that there are a few members of the forum who are skeptical of the supernatural and don't have confidence in those teachings.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Pinetree

Post by Pinetree »

Yes, but I guess it's important to point out that doubt, skepticism, confidence dependently arise and cease.
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

The superpowers would be common things if people would keep celibacy and transform that energy into siddhis and meditational feats. Generally it's very easy to do but it's take a lot to keep it going to the results of siddhi.

It's not matter of beliefs - that the problem with spirituality, people have certain beliefs towards this or that, either you have proof or experience or not. I said from my experience of supernatural things in other thread so you can look up for "my story" either it does not matter because you either need to believe or not believe - whatever you choose will leave you with nothing.

Look closely at you experience, we are all on some kind of spinning ball in the middle of nowhere of infinite cosmos chopping tree, eating food and meditate. Do you really think some kind of little "superpowers" have something on the endless infinite cosmos with bilions of bilions starts ,platnets and galatics? It's nothing compared to that. Regular things if you put attention to them are more super then all kinds of superpowers.
Remember… the Buddha had said that everyone living in this world is crazy, by the phrase, “Sabbē prutajjana ummattakā”; excluding the Arahants, everyone else is crazy. Would you get angry if a mad person scolds? Do we get angry for a crazy thing done by a crazy person? Just think about it! :candle: