Sankhara

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mr Empty

Sankhara

Post by Mr Empty »

Hi all :)

A couple of years ago I attended a Goenka retreat, which was most beneficial in terms of calming my mind. At the time (having studied no dhamma at all) I had next to no idea what he was talking about. He repeatedly suggested that when sankharas arise - remain equanimous and realise that they are impermanent. I now understand much more than back then - but what was HE specifically refering to by sankharas? Just mental formations? Thanks :)
Bundokji

Re: Sankhara

Post by Bundokji »

Conditioned phenomena, I guess! :tongue:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Mr Empty wrote: A couple of years ago I attended a Goenka retreat, which was most beneficial in terms of calming my mind. At the time (having studied no dhamma at all) I had next to no idea what he was talking about. He repeatedly suggested that when sankharas arise - remain equanimous and realise that they are impermanent. I now understand much more than back then - but what was HE specifically refering to by sankharas? Just mental formations? Thanks :)

I think so, but more specifically I think he is referring to Kilesas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleshas_%28Buddhism%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Attachment, aversion and ignorance.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”