Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: Bhikkhu Bodhi Lectures: In the Buddha's Words

Postby unspoken » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:21 pm

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Unspoken,
unspoken wrote:How long is the duration of all the dhamma talks posted there? So I listen to ALL the mp3 of the provided link and it will be same as reading a book except that I do not need to read?

It might be possible to just listen, but I would recommend having the book, since the talks often assume you've looked at the passage under discussion. It's a relatively cheap paperback (less than $20).

:anjali:
Mike

Actually I'm just a teenager living in Malaysia. If its in dolar, convert to malaysian ringgit, it will be rm60 which I could not afford it. I think I'll be fine just download the mp3 :smile:
unspoken

Postby Jhana4 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm

I can relate to that.

I first got interested in Buddhism in the 90s when I was a student. I was living off about $500 a month. Wisdom's "Middle Length Discourses", I think, was even more expensive back then. There were no Amazon or used book discounts. It wasn't in the library system as it is now. Buying a copy would have been like sacrificing a week and half's worth of grocery money.

Luckily, the sutta class I went to didn't mind sharing books at classes or providing photocopies. John Bullit of Access To Insight was also working with the Buddhist Publication Society to put a lot of their pamphlets on the web ( I still read a few of them as text files and converted a few to HTML myself ) and about the same time Thanisarro Bhikkhu started putting his translations on Access To Insight. My Buddhist education would have been shut down back then if not for these things.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Postby danieLion » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks for this original poster. What a great resource! I just started reading In the Buddha's Words and just finished Wings to Awakening. I have been listening to these talks while I do stuff around the house. I also like Thanissaro's Handful of Leaves I, but am still in the introduction of that. Wings was much easier to read at a faster pace compared to In the Buddha's Words which I like just as much but something about it makes me want to read more reflectively and and hence slower. Also, so far, Wings seems more thesis driven (to support his opinion of the importance of the bodhipakkiyadhamma?) whereas IBW more expository.

What are your experiences with these anthologies?

Thanks,

Dan
danieLion

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08 am

Hi Dan,

Of course, I agree. Ven Thanissaro's books seem to me to be written to make particular points (nothing wrong with that, of course, same goes for many authors!). Bhikkhu Bodhi's anthology does attempt to be a broad cross-section of suttas giving a reasonably balanced view of the breadth of advice that is in the Canon. I have found his classification system very useful and it's seldom that I read a sutta that contains material that is not hinted at in that volume, though of course I can point to suttas that go into the various aspects in more detail.

The criticism that some have is that he deliberately downplayed verse, but verse (such as the Dhammapada, the Sutta Nipata, and the first book of the Samyutta Nikaya) is difficult to render both accurately and poetically. Yes, it would be nice to include the Ratana, Mahāmaṅgala Sutta, and Metta Suttas, but it would require a lot of explanation (which he gives here: http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/about-buddhism/audio/84-sutta-nipata.html).

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Gibraltariana » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:09 pm

I am going to order this book today. Thanks!
Gibraltariana

Postby past is dead » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:05 pm

I have started to read this book few days ago and it's really good so far. Can you guys recommend me other books by Bhikkhu Bodhi or other Theravada related books?
past is dead

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:08 pm

Greetings Past Is Dead,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Check out this topic...

Introductory resources
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby past is dead » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Past Is Dead,

Welcome to Dhamma Wheel.

Check out this topic...

Introductory resources
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=148

Metta,

Thanks you Retrofuturist for the help, I am new here so I will need some time to learn my way around :)

Which are your favorite introductory, intermediate and advanced books on Theravada?
past is dead

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Greetings,

past is dead wrote:Which are your favorite introductory, intermediate and advanced books on Theravada?

In a nutshell...

Introductory: anything from the topic I referenced, or anything by Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Chah, Bhikkhu Bodhi, or Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Intermediate: anything from the Sutta Pitaka
Advanced: anything by Bhikkhu Nanananda, Nanavira Thera, Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero... then going back to the Sutta Pitaka and reading it, taking what these people have said into account

:reading:

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby past is dead » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:56 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

past is dead wrote:Which are your favorite introductory, intermediate and advanced books on Theravada?

In a nutshell...

Introductory: anything from the topic I referenced, or anything by Ajahn Sumedho, Ajahn Chah, Bhikkhu Bodhi, or Thanissaro Bhikkhu
Intermediate: anything from the Sutta Pitaka
Advanced: anything by Bhikkhu Nanananda, Nanavira Thera, Kiribathgoda Gnanananda Thero... then going back to the Sutta Pitaka and reading it, taking what these people have said into account

:reading:

Metta,
Thanks a lot again
past is dead

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:49 pm

In Bhikkhu Bodhi's first lecture (MN002_SamyojanaAnusayaAsava.pdf) he has an extensive discussion regarding Asava (taints). Found the following which I found quite helpful in this regard: http://wisdomthroughmindfulness.blogspo ... -work.html
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Ron-The-Elder

Postby UrbanContemplative » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Wow...thanks for posting this link!! I'm ALREADY glad I joined this forum today! This is fantastic. In the Buddha's Words was my first introduction to the Pali Canon; and I've since been reading all his other translations. I love that book, it is one of my favorites!!
UrbanContemplative

Postby cookiemonster » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:17 am

I've read through his book, and it's an awesome intro to Theravada ...

I wish it was printed on thinner "Bible-type" paper so it would be more portable as a constant companion!
cookiemonster

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion