Suttas on harmlessness (avhimisa)?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sati1

Suttas on harmlessness (avhimisa)?

Post by Sati1 »

Hello,

Does anybody know of texts that explain harmlessness (avihimsa) and what the benefits of its cultivation are?

Many thanks!
Sati1

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.30, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)
santa100

Re: Suttas on harmlessness (avhimisa)?

Post by santa100 »

For a definition, see Ven. Nyanatiloka's Buddhist Dictionary here. A list of various suttas about the subject here.
Sati1

Re: Suttas on harmlessness (avhimisa)?

Post by Sati1 »

Dear santa100,

Thank you very much for the references. I found the collection of suttas on the A2I website particularly helpful. Another good one is Dhp 300.

With metta,
Sati1

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.30, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)