Is prejudiced Akusala-Kamma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
No_Mind

Is prejudiced Akusala-Kamma?

Post by No_Mind »

As I have commented before, I live in India. The nation is made of several distinct communities (we have 21 or so official languages) living under one democracy. I do not mean different religions but different communities which differ in dress, culture, language, cuisine and so on but identify with different aspects of Hinduism.

I dislike one of these communities. Not dislike in the sense that I will want any kind of violence, but quiet dislike of their ways. Now normally I keep this close to my chest. But this week I was challenged by another person that I was prejudiced and that a Buddhist who is trying so hard to be a good Buddhist, cannot be prejudiced.

Is that true? A good Buddhist cannot have prejudices? (I do not have lot of prejudices. This is the only major one and I do not advertise it)

Is prejudice Akusala-Kamma?
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
SarathW

Re: Is prejudiced Akusala-Kamma?

Post by SarathW »

Hi No-mind
This subject comes under Mana, the 10th fetter which will be eliminated only by Arahants.
Mana is the result of the personality view. (Not understanding Anatta)
It is the thought I am higher, lower or equal to someone else.
:)
Last edited by SarathW on Fri May 30, 2014 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Would "quiet dislike of their ways" be properly classed as aversion?
MN 9: Sammaditthi Sutta wrote: And what are the roots of what is unskillful? Greed is a root of what is unskillful, aversion is a root of what is unskillful, delusion is a root of what is unskillful. These are termed the roots of what is unskillful.
Would this aversion arise when seeing that the community you reference treat their ways as appealing?
AN 4.200: Pema Sutta wrote: And how is aversion born of affection? There is the case where an individual is pleasing, appealing, & charming to (another) individual. Others treat that individual as displeasing, unappealing, & not charming, and the other one thinks, 'This individual is pleasing, appealing, & charming to me. Others treat this individual as displeasing, unappealing, & not charming.' He gives rise to aversion for them. This is how aversion is born of affection.
And how is aversion born of aversion? There is the case where an individual is displeasing, unappealing, & not charming to (another) individual. Others treat that individual as pleasing, appealing, & charming, and the other one thinks, 'This individual is displeasing, unappealing, & not charming to me. Others treat this individual as pleasing, appealing, & charming.' He gives rise to aversion for them. This is how aversion is born of aversion.
Would this "quiet dislike of their ways" interfere with wishing members of the community success in finding happiness?
Snp 1.8: Karaniya Metta Sutta wrote: Think: Happy, at rest,
may all beings be happy at heart.
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

The Atthasalini gives this definition of conceit:

"Herein conceit is fancying (deeming, vain imagining). It has haughtiness as characteristic, self-praise as function, desire to (advertise self like) a banner as manifestation, greed dissociated from opinionativeness as proximate cause, and should be regarded as (a form of) lunacy. "
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Conceit (māna) is one of the last fetters to go. The Buddha's relatives like Mahānāma were no doubt “good Buddhists,” but they were prejudiced, which resulted in their slaughter en-masse by King Viṭaṭūbha.

Whenever we prejudge any individual based on their race, colour, sex, religion, or other attributes it is due to mental defilements of ill-will, pride, delusion, etc., which are unwholesome mental states. If we are free from prejudice, then we can judge each individual objectively as being trustworthy or not, as worthy to cultivate as a friend or not, etc.

Righteousness

“He is not thereby just because he hastily arbitrates cases.
The wise man should investigate both right and wrong.” (Dhp v 256)

“The intelligent person who leads others not falsely, but lawfully and impartially,
who is a guardian of the law, is called one who abides by the law.” (Dhp v 257)

If some individuals or groups have genuine faults and defects, then it is not necessarily unwholesome kamma to point them out for the right reasons.

The Wise

“Should one see a wise man, who, like a revealer of treasure,
points out faults and reproves;
let one associate with such a wise person;
it will be better, not worse, for him who associates with such a one. ( Dhp v 76)
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
someguysomeguy

Post by someguysomeguy »

No_Mind wrote:As I have commented before, I live in India. The nation is made of several distinct communities (we have 21 or so official languages) living under one democracy. I do not mean different religions but different communities which differ in dress, culture, language, cuisine and so on but identify with different aspects of Hinduism.

I dislike one of these communities. Not dislike in the sense that I will want any kind of violence, but quiet dislike of their ways. Now normally I keep this close to my chest. But this week I was challenged by another person that I was prejudiced and that a Buddhist who is trying so hard to be a good Buddhist, cannot be prejudiced.

Is that true? A good Buddhist cannot have prejudices? (I do not have lot of prejudices. This is the only major one and I do not advertise it)

It is one of the hard things to let go and usually happens in the end stages. For me too this was troublesome.....I found that only studying the scriptures did not help but rather doing meditation helps.
someguysomeguy

Post by someguysomeguy »

No_Mind wrote:As I have commented before, I live in India. The nation is made of several distinct communities (we have 21 or so official languages) living under one democracy. I do not mean different religions but different communities which differ in dress, culture, language, cuisine and so on but identify with different aspects of Hinduism.

Actually I live in a home of Hindus. I was born Hindu and my parents, brother's family are all Hindus. I can absolutely relate to how you are feeling. I too have MANY MANY times an intense dislike to their ways and whenever i bring it to their notice.....their usual dialogue is the same - as a Buddhist you should not be prejudiced.....

The thing is Ignorance is so much in them that even if you point out their wrong ways they will instead question you......They lack introspection.....they always look outwards for their problems.....thats why they are questioning you as they question me.

The solution to this is : Equanamity and practise Vipassana meditation a lot.
someguysomeguy

Post by someguysomeguy »

I think Hinduism itself is a joke. I dont think it is a religion. Some people pray to Idols and give donations to temples but do some of the most unwholesome Kamma possible in mankind. They still call themselves as Hindus. There is no authority of what is right/wrong in Hinduism. People are free to do what they want.

I think it was one of the Wrong views(people free to do what they want) pointed out by Buddha in Digha Nikaya.
someguysomeguy

Post by someguysomeguy »

I understand this is a buddhist forum and speaking bad about any religion is wrong. But i just said what i saw.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

someguysomeguy wrote:I understand this is a buddhist forum and speaking bad about any religion is wrong. But i just said what i saw.
Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut. If one holds hateful views but keeps them to himself, that is one thing. If one holds hateful views and propogates of them to others, that is another. Remember the three doors of action: body, speech, and mind. Better to keep defilement in one door (mind) rather than spreading it to two (mind and speech), which only makes defilement stronger.

On that note, No_Mind, as long as you keep any hateful views to yourself, live virtuously, and purify your mind, you're doing the best you can do. What were the grounds that your interlocutor used to accuse you of prejudice?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

someguysomeguy, Right Speech often entails not speaking, and that's Right.....

Oh dear.... Hinduism? A joke?

It was here long before you were born, and shall exist long after you die.
I think its significance is worth something a whole lot more than calling it 'a joke'.

That is your opinion, but it is unwholesome and ignorant.
What you saw of it, is probably the equivalent of one grain of rice in a sack of barley grains....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
someguysomeguy

Post by someguysomeguy »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:someguysomeguy, Right Speech often entails not speaking, and that's Right.....

I think its significance is worth something a whole lot more than calling it 'a joke'.

What you saw of it, is probably the equivalent of one grain of rice in a sack of barley grains....
my opinion is just because it has existed for long does not mean that it is great. Just as some say that the latest version of religion is the best. All these are wrong views. When a religion is born is not important what is more important is Quality of the teachings in it and whether it makes a person a better person or makes him a bad person.

Similarly demographics of a religion(more in number of adherents) in no way represents whether a religion is better or worse off.
someguysomeguy

Post by someguysomeguy »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:someguysomeguy, Right Speech often entails not speaking, and that's Right.....

You are RIGHT, Hinduism is a vast ocean the boundaries have no end. But part of which makes it a liberal religion also makes it open to abuse by its adherents. Hope you can understand where I am getting at.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

A reminder that members have agreed to abide by the Terms of Service, which include:
TOS wrote: - This is not a "comparative religion site", it is a site to learn and discuss the Buddha's teachings without animosity.
- In support of this:

* Badmouthing of other spiritual paths is not allowed.
* Proselyting / evangelizing other paths, which includes, for example, arguing that some other path is superior to the Buddhist path is not allowed.
I suggest Tolerance and Diversity by Bhikkhu Bodhi for useful ways of viewing other spiritual paths.
Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote: To the extent that a religion proposes sound ethical principles and can promote to some degree the development of wholesome qualities such as love, generosity, detachment and compassion, it will merit in this respect the approbation of Buddhists. These principles advocated by outside religious systems will also conduce to rebirth in the realms of bliss — the heavens and the divine abodes. Buddhism by no means claims to have unique access to these realms, but holds that the paths that lead to them have been articulated, with varying degrees of clarity, in many of the great spiritual traditions of humanity. While the Buddhist will disagree with the belief structures of other religions to the extent that they deviate from the Buddha's Dhamma, he will respect them to the extent that they enjoin virtues and standards of conduct that promote spiritual development and the harmonious integration of human beings with each other and with the world.
:anjali:
Mike
waterchan

Post by waterchan »

someguysomeguy wrote:I think Hinduism itself is a joke.
someguysomeguy wrote:I understand this is a buddhist forum and speaking bad about any religion is wrong. But i just said what i saw.
I think many things in this world are a joke. Am I to enumerate each one of them and let my opinions be known in the name of self-expression, just because I think they're wrong? That would give rise to no end of conflict and dukkha.

Point out the wrongs in the world is an endless and thankless task. If one believes one has the right worldview, then the best thing to do is embody that view and live by it.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)