Musical Instruments and Meditation?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dpw1

Musical Instruments and Meditation?

Post by dpw1 »

Hello!!

I am 21 years old and I've been studying and playing multiple musical instruments since I'm 14. I love music and a few other things as much as I love buddhism, so I was wondering if I could combine both.

Would it be possible to approach a very mindful/positive/meditative state when playing a musical instrument (despise the type of music - metal, rock, jazz, classical, etc - just the playing itself)?

Thanks in advance everyone! Love and peace :heart:
Mkoll

Re: Musical Instruments and Meditation?

Post by Mkoll »

Hi dpw1,

I'm sure you can enter such a state. I've heard it described as "flow" where you're so absorbed in what you're doing that you don't pay attention to other things.

However, this is not the calm and secluded meditation that leads to jhana (right concentration)

As I said in the recent "Cannabis" thread, practicing Buddhism and indulging in sensual pleasures aren't mutually exclusive for the layperson. The Buddha expected most householders to continue to indulge in sensual pleasures. That's why most householders follow the five precepts instead of the eight or the ten precepts, both of which would preclude one from indulging in music, shows, etc.

You can still have a meditation practice and a music practice. Why not do both?
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
dpw1

Re: Musical Instruments and Meditation?

Post by dpw1 »

Hey!! thank you for your reply, that was actually very accurate. And I must agree with you, buddy: why not do both when you have enough time to do so! :)