Sutta about sowing seeds

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Sutta about sowing seeds

Postby JeffR » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:28 am

I seem to remember a number of years ago reading a passage from a translation of a sutta where the Buddha talks about sowing seeds in various places, such as the packed dirt of a trodden path, barren gravel, and fertile soil. I have searched and cannot find such a sutta. Is anyone familiar with this and can you point me to the sutta or other passage from the Pali Canon?

Thanks,
Jeff
JeffR

Re: Sutta about sowing seeds

Postby Goofaholix » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:41 am

Possibly you have your religions mixed up, try Mark 4.3 to 4.8
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby JeffR » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:03 am

What I posted probably sounds more like what comes from the bible. What has made it stick in my mind when I read it the similarity to the passage from Mark struck me, due to my elementary upbringing that parable is etched in my mind, so my recall sounds more like the passage from Mark. I do recall reading something very similar that was a translation from the Pali Canon. I am looking for what is from the Pali Canon so I can stop referring to the bible passage and recalling I read something similar that came from the Pali Canon and just go with the Pali Canon passage.

I hope I clarified that.

-Jeff
JeffR

Postby santa100 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:03 am

Maybe AN 8.34? ( http://suttacentral.net/an8.34/en )
Else there're quite a number of suttas that use the seed simile.. ( https://www.google.com/#q=seed+site:suttacentral.net )
santa100

Postby culaavuso » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:17 am

This sounds like SN42.7:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn42/sn42.007.wlsh.html
SN42.7: Desanaa Sutta wrote:"I will reply to this question, headman, with another. Answer as seems proper to you. What do you think? Suppose a peasant farmer has three fields, one excellent, one middling, and one poor, sandy, salty, with bad soil. Tell me: when the farmer wants to sow his seed, which field would he sow first: the excellent one, the middling one or the poor one that is sandy, salty and with bad soil?"

"Lord, the farmer who wanted to sow his seed would sow the excellent field first. Having done that, he would sow the middling field next, and the one that was poor, sandy, salty, with bad soil he might or might not sow. Why? Well it might do for cattle-food."
culaavuso

Postby JeffR » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:40 am

Thank you all. The one I'm looking for is SN42.7, Desannaa Sutta.

Thanks for the reference to AN8.34, similar tone only applying to the need to develop my own factors. The reference to where in the Bible the similar passage resides is also helpful.

Metta,
Jeff
JeffR

Return to General Theravāda discussion