Do people who get murdered deserve it?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dr. Dukkha

Do people who get murdered deserve it?

Post by Dr. Dukkha »

I've begun to build my own understanding of kamma. When someone does a good or bad deed, that deed is given a number of intensity or severity to the decimal which makes a specific shape and that shape is made of the trail that the road to enlightenment is made of. That deed slides across the road and passes opportunities on the road that it can fill up a spot that a reward or punishment can be acquired. But when the shape reaches the exact slot where it fits, the kamma slides in and takes action. So I came up with the idea that kamma doesn't hit us at random times, it has it's place to fit in; a specific time for everything.

So now I have a seperate question. And by asking this, I'm not trying to offend anyone. If someone went to a mall, for instance (completely hypothetical), and shot up a bunch of people, since kamma is supposed to cause consequences for people's actions, would those people he shot deserve it?
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
retrofuturist

Re: Do people who get murdered deserve it?

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Dr. Dukkha,

No offense intended, but I would pull down what you've learned and start again.

Kamma: A Study Guide
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/study/kamma.html

In short, the qualitative nature of our conditioned-mindstates flavours the quality of present and future experience.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

This topic has been discussed to death in other threads.

Would those who post speculative views about kamma on Buddhist forums without having done their research deserve it if others shoot them down in flames? :stirthepot:
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
reflection

Post by reflection »

Everybody who is born will die. That's the important kamma. That's the consequences that we should look at. Specific ways of dying really are not all that important kamma-wise.
DrRPDB

Post by DrRPDB »

Wow! I myself find the question a bit under developed but it seems to me, given his other posts, that Dr. D is genuine in his efforts. I find these replies not very inviting to those new to either the forum or Buddhism.... But I'm sure I'm missing something....

With respect and metta
:anjali:
The bird is singing.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

To help clear up any misunderstandings about kamma, I highly recommend listening to this talk given by Ajahn Amaro at Amaravati monastery :

"Who is pulling the Strings?"

http://www.amaravati.org/teachings/audi ... ation/2083

- the link to the talk is under a question and answer session with the same title.

:anjali:
Sanjay PS

Post by Sanjay PS »

reflection wrote:Everybody who is born will die. That's the important kamma. That's the consequences that we should look at. Specific ways of dying really are not all that important kamma-wise.
True.

However exalted the birth be , and however blissful and long the period be , the kamma of death catches up .

It is nice to understand that we are makings of our own doings , and this gets nicely reflected when we feel the sensations with in us, and remain equanimous .

sanjay
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:This topic has been discussed to death in other threads.

Would those who post speculative views about kamma on Buddhist forums without having done their research deserve it if others shoot them down in flames? :stirthepot:
If everyone did their research, would there be any need for forum(s) ?

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

reflection wrote:Everybody who is born will die. That's the important kamma. That's the consequences that we should look at. Specific ways of dying really are not all that important kamma-wise.
Yes! And to try to nail down specifics is something the Buddha advised against.
"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...

"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Doshin wrote:If everyone did their research, would there be any need for forum(s) ?
Yes, there would, because the Dhamma is profound. However, if members do a bit of searching and reading before posting, the question is more likely to lead to a meaningful discussion, and less likely to get dragged off-topic.

If one uses a word like “deserve,” then some may think of cases of taking vengeance like this sad case.

If we do not know the previous kamma of the victim, which bore fruit in this life as the result of getting murdered, then people may misunderstand if we say that they inherited the result of their kamma, especially if we use such terms as "deserve."

An Ill-directed Mind Can Do Great Harm
In this case, the monks who accompanied the Buddha, attributed the wrong cause to the result.

Nobody Can Escape the Effects of Kamma

Then again, if someone engages in drug-dealing, or other risky activity, they are more likely to get murdered. Prostitutes are also twelve times more likely to get murdered than average women, and one presumes that nuns are even less likely to get murdered.
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
DrRPDB

Post by DrRPDB »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Then again, if someone engages in drug-dealing, or other risky activity, they are more likely to get murdered. Prostitutes are also much more likely to get murdered than average women, and one presumes that nuns are even less likely to get murdered.
Given the complexities and indeterminate nature of kamma - the lifetimes and avalable situations which my need to be present from which fruits to ripen and so forth, I find the above quote a bit bothering... I would think that a society in which neither of the above were true would not only be possible in a Buddhist world but desirable. For we really do not know why each has taken the path they have taken - even mass murderers may become an adherent... But hey, I haven't done all my research in the area, so...well, I guess I'll duck and cover.

:embarassed:
The bird is singing.
manas

Post by manas »

Just an observation: maybe 'deserve' isn't really the right word. If everything that happens in Samsara, murders or otherwise, is due to cause and effect, then it's not a matter of 'deserve', it's just action and reaction unfolding, and in a way that's beyond our current scope to fully comprehend. The term 'deserve' is a value judgement imposed by human beings, whereas kammic law is rather impersonal, is it not?
Noun 1. value judgement - an assessment that reveals more about the values of the person making the assessment than about the reality of what is assessed
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/value+judgement
kind regards
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

As has been probably mentioned in the many other threads on this topic; even Moggallana one of the chief monks of the Buddha, was murdered and he was an arahant. Thus, obviously it is futile, useless, unwholesome and unnecessary to speculate on someone's kamma.
rohana

Post by rohana »

I'd say 'deserved' is a meaningless term from a Buddhist POV on karma. It puts a kind of theistic spin on it. We've all done unskillful actions in the past. It's meaningless to say one person is more deserving than the other for their vipāka.
"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43
chownah

Post by chownah »

Dr. Dukkha,
Can you tell us what you mean by deserve?
chownah