Developing a student-teacher relationship

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Developing a student-teacher relationship

Postby Vakkali » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:19 am

Hey everybody,

I'm a layperson, but I'm very serious about my practice, and want it to grow as much as possible. This year I started going to a little vihara in my area, financed by Sri Lankan lay families and inhabited by, I think, three or four monks (After more than a month of going there, I only just met a third monk this week!) The monks are shy, but they're all very, very friendly; they host open meditation sessions for Buddhists and non-Buddhists alike once a week, and we've been encouraged to come by whenever we have questions. The abbot even gave me some brand-new robe cloth to give back as dāna at this year's Kathina ceremony, free of charge. They also provide literature and stuff for shrine rooms for absolutely nothing. A friend of mine is already very close to the abbot, and he's actually offered to teach both of us Pāḷi!

This seems like an ideal opportunity to pursue a student-teacher relationship with the abbot, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I suppose I could just ask him questions, but I'm so new to the practice that I'm not sure I necessarily know what to ask about, if that makes any sense. A semi-formal "curriculum" would be nice. I was thinking of asking him to help me study the Sutta-piṭaka, maybe one sutta at a time, or maybe meditation...but there are so many things I could try to address with him, and I have no idea where to start or how to go about it. i know this is a complicated request, but could anyone give me some advice on how to proceed? I'd really appreciate it!

Añjali,
Vakkali
Vakkali

Re: Developing a student-teacher relationship

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:37 am

Why not just take things in a casual and relaxed manner, one day at a time?
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:55 am

Ben wrote:Why not just take things in a casual and relaxed manner, one day at a time?
kind regards,

Ben

:goodpost:

No need to be so worried! Just tell him that you want to learn more about the Dhamma, and that you value his opinion on your practice. He's a monk, he will most likely love nothing more than to talk to you about the Buddha and his teachings. :lol

:namaste:
PsychedelicSunSet

Postby appicchato » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:59 am

This seems like an ideal opportunity to pursue a student-teacher relationship with the abbot, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I suppose I could just ask him questions, but I'm so new to the practice that I'm not sure I necessarily know what to ask about, if that makes any sense. A semi-formal "curriculum" would be nice. I was thinking of asking him to help me study the Sutta-piṭaka, maybe one sutta at a time, or maybe meditation...but there are so many things I could try to address with him, and I have no idea where to start or how to go about it. i know this is a complicated request...

Why not just say to him what you've said here...
appicchato

Return to General Theravāda discussion