Initiation of foreigners?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Initiation of foreigners?

Postby teknix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:04 am

Say that I want to get out of the country and live somewhere else and go to practice mostly unimpeded? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training that would be accepting of a foreigner? I was thinking of going to Thailand, but the job prospects there are extremely limited to foreigners. I would be happy if I could do some chores to earn my keep and spend my extra time learning and practicing. Is there a place like that anywhere?
teknix

Re: Initiation of foreigners?

Postby Ben » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:03 am

Many people who attend meditation centres associated with my teacher alternate between sitting on a ten-day residential retreat and serving on courses, and they can do this for months at a time. It might be a solution for you and one that I can recommend.
http://www.dhamma.org
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:59 pm

teknix wrote:Say that I want to get out of the country and live somewhere else and go to practice mostly unimpeded? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training that would be accepting of a foreigner?

Why not ordain?
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Postby teknix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:22 pm

Ben wrote:Many people who attend meditation centres associated with my teacher alternate between sitting on a ten-day residential retreat and serving on courses, and they can do this for months at a time. It might be a solution for you and one that I can recommend.
kind regards,

Ben

Thank you for this valuable information!

kc2dpt wrote:
teknix wrote:Say that I want to get out of the country and live somewhere else and go to practice mostly unimpeded? Is there a place you can go to practice and work at the same time? Like a place to work for your living expenses and training that would be accepting of a foreigner?

Why not ordain?

How do you mean?
teknix

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:30 pm

teknix wrote:
kc2dpt wrote:

Why not ordain?

How do you mean?

I mean, why not become a monk? Then you can practice mostly unimpeded and have your living expenses covered by the monastery.
- Peter

kc2dpt

Postby teknix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Ben wrote:Many people who attend meditation centres associated with my teacher alternate between sitting on a ten-day residential retreat and serving on courses, and they can do this for months at a time. It might be a solution for you and one that I can recommend.
kind regards,

Ben

How do you qualify as old student?
teknix

Postby teknix » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:42 pm

kc2dpt wrote:I mean, why not become a monk? Then you can practice mostly unimpeded and have your living expenses covered by the monastery.

I guess I don't know if I would qualify to be a Monk, and I wouldn't know where to go to be a monk if I did qualify.

Also my practices have revolved around mostly internal alchemy of the Taoist and Kundalini sort. (Even though they seem very similar, I do notice some differences.)
teknix

Postby kc2dpt » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:03 pm

teknix wrote:my practices have revolved around mostly internal alchemy of the Taoist and Kundalini sort.

I'm confused. Why are you asking this question in a Theravada Buddhist forum?
- Peter

kc2dpt

Postby teknix » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:29 am

I'm asking here because It's all pretty much the same to me, I am not affiliated with any organization, so one place to meditate would be as good as the next. I'm not biased or particular and I would like to learn more about Buddhism as well.

I don't follow the "beliefs" of any of the practices, I seek the truth in all of them.

Considering Theravada Buddhism has truth then that's what I'm seeking and here for.

Do you think I should conform to only one specific practice?
teknix

Return to General Theravāda discussion