Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW
Posts: 4219
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby SarathW » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:12 am

Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?
Please forgive me for bringing this hot topic question that never seems to get an answer.
But I am asking the question in a different angle.
If my present existence is due to my past ignorance (self view – not knowing four noble truths etc) then I can say that I have a self.
If I do not eliminate the self view in this life I will continue in to the future.
Though there is no permanent and unchanging entity, the thought “I” will continue in to the future or my ignorance (self view) continue to the future.
“I think so I am”
So based on that assumption, can I say that I have a self view so I have a self until I attain Nirvana?
:shrug:

chownah
Posts: 3645
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby chownah » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:14 am

I'm not sure but I think you are saying that a self view causes a self to exist. I think that generally speaking views do not cause things to exist....views are just views, they are not causative agents......I guess.....don't know for sure.......
chownah

pegembara
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:39 am

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby pegembara » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:46 am

We determine things into existence through use of conventions. We see a small child lost in a forest but the tiger sees food. Me, you, he, she, mom, dad are all conventions and only exist in our minds. In the same way self is a convention. This does not mean that there is nothing out there but the way to freedom is inwards.

You have a self view so you have a self until you attain Nirvana. That attainment is always here and now; not some time in the future.The Dhamma is Sanditthiko(Apparent here and now), Akaliko(Timeless), Ehipassiko(Encouraging investigation), Opanayiko(Leading inwards), Paccattam veditabbo vinnuhi ti (To be experienced by the wise).

Appearances are determined into existence. Why must we determine them? Because they don't intrinsically exist. For example, suppose somebody wanted to make a marker. He would take a piece of wood or a rock and place it on the ground, and then call it a marker. Actually it's not a marker. There isn't any marker, that's why you must determine it into existence. In the same way we ''determine'' cities, people, cattle - everything! Why must we determine these things? Because originally they do not exist.

Concepts such as ''monk'' and ''layperson'' are also ''determinations.'' We determine these things into existence because intrinsically they aren't here. It's like having an empty dish - you can put anything you like into it because it's empty. This is the nature of determined reality. Men and women are simply determined concepts, as are all the things around us.

If we know the truth of determinations clearly, we will know that there are no beings, because ''beings'' are determined things. Understanding that these things are simply determinations, you can be at peace. But if you believe that the person, being, the ''mine,'' the ''theirs,'' and so on are intrinsic qualities, then you must laugh and cry over them. These are the proliferation of conditioning factors. If we take such things to be ours there will always be suffering. This is micch?ditthi, wrong view. Names are not intrinsic realities, they are provisional truths. Only after we are born do we obtain names, isn't that so? Or did you have your name already when you were born? The name comes afterwards, right? Why must we determine these names? Because intrinsically they aren't there.
http://www.amaravati.org/teachingsofaja ... cle/480/P4
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

SarathW
Posts: 4219
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby SarathW » Tue May 20, 2014 12:46 am

Why does the Tathagata not declare the sense-data categorically as
true or false? He knows that, given ignorance, they are true, and that they
are falsified only when ignorance fades away in one who sees the
cessation. It is for such a person that the sense-bases appear as false and
consciousness appears as a conjurer’s trick.
Fortified with that understanding, he does not categorically assert the
sense-data as true, nor does he reprimand those who assert them as the
truth. That is why the Buddha advocates a tolerant attitude in this
discourse. This is the typical attitude of an understanding elder to the
questions put by an inquisitive toddler.

P566
http://www.seeingthroughthenet.net/file ... led_VI.pdf

User avatar
Goofaholix
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby Goofaholix » Tue May 20, 2014 1:46 am

Self is a view, it's conceptual.

So yes self view is created by self view.
"Right effort is effort with wisdom. Because where there is wisdom, there is interest. The desire to know something is wisdom at work. Being mindful is not difficult. But it’s difficult to be continuously aware. For that you need right effort. But it does not require a great deal of energy. It’s relaxed perseverance in reminding yourself to be aware. When you are aware, wisdom unfolds naturally, and there is still more interest." - Sayadaw U Tejaniya

Ananda26
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby Ananda26 » Tue May 20, 2014 2:30 pm

SarathW wrote:Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?
Please forgive me for bringing this hot topic question that never seems to get an answer.
But I am asking the question in a different angle.
If my present existence is due to my past ignorance (self view – not knowing four noble truths etc) then I can say that I have a self.
If I do not eliminate the self view in this life I will continue in to the future.
Though there is no permanent and unchanging entity, the thought “I” will continue in to the future or my ignorance (self view) continue to the future.
“I think so I am”
So based on that assumption, can I say that I have a self view so I have a self until I attain Nirvana?
:shrug:


Non self is an advanced subject.
An Arahant can refer to himself conventionally, but in the absolute sense he regards form, feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness as not self.

The problem with viewing the 5 aggregates affected by clinging as self is that they are impermanent and subject to change. Then with the change of the 5 aggregates arises sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distress.

One does not regard the 5 aggregates affected by clinging as self. Then with the change of the 5 aggregates there does not arise sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distress.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 1500
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby Sam Vara » Tue May 20, 2014 7:35 pm

Ajahn Thanissaro talks of
the craving to become something — in other words, to take on an identity in a specific world of experience. The identity often plays into the world, the world plays into the identity. Whatever identity you build around a desire will then determine the parts of the world you pay attention to, in terms of whether they help or hinder you from attaining that desire. At the same time, whichever world you're thinking about right now — whether it's the world of sports, politics, or your family — will then determine the kind of identity you want to take on in that world. And we crave these things.

Having a particular view of ourselves as things in the world means that we crave certain experiences as a means of keeping that identity going. And that fabricated craving can, of course, lead to a new or reinforced sense of self, and so on.

SarathW
Posts: 4219
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby SarathW » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:51 pm

"There is what is given and what is offered and what is sacrificed; there is fruit and result of good and bad actions; there is this world and the other world; there is mother and father; there are spontaneously reborn beings; there are in the world good and virtuous recluses and brahmins who have realised for themselves by direct knowledge and declare this world and the other world.” (MN 117/iii,72)
"

This easily overlooked passage offers a very acute description of an authentic attitude of a puthujjana—the attitude of recognition and acknowledgment of the existence of things as phenomena (“there is...”).

https://pathpress.files.wordpress.com/2 ... stence.pdf

User avatar
dhammacoustic
Posts: 496
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:30 am

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby dhammacoustic » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:14 am

SarathW wrote:
If I do not eliminate the self view in this life I will continue in to the future.


I don't really think there is a future. There is just now - which we experience, and the memory of the past - which we're mentally and physically built on. What we know as 'future' is only mental fabrications.

Basically, this is the future. This is the one-life and practically, there is no rebirth, because rebirth doesn't matter, it is absolutely irrelevant, not something related to sensory experience. There is just 'now', and now is suffering.

Can't possibly be commenting on an arahant's perception, since I know nothing about it (not to mention I've never seen anything of it other than on paper).

:anjali:
Monks, it is not possible for one who possesses right view, to live without respect, without regard for the Tathagāta, nor is it possible for such a one to live without respect, without reverence for the Dhamma taught by the Tathagāta.
∞ Yaṁ kiñci ratanaṁ loke vijjati vividhā puthū, ratanaṁ Buddhasamaṁ natthi ∞


“The language of psychiatry is a monologue of reason about madness.”
― Michel Foucault


“Ultimate serenity is the coming to rest of all ways of taking things, the repose of named things; no truth has been taught by a Buddha for anyone, anywhere.”
― Nāgārjuna

SarathW
Posts: 4219
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby SarathW » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:31 am

I see your point.
What we (conventionally) called the present is in fact the past.
What we say future is the present thought with the action.
:shrug:

PS: What this mean is that we can't trust the information coming from six sense media. Hence we should not attach or averse to them. We should exercise the perfect equanimity for them.

perkele
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby perkele » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:14 am

chownah wrote:Of course views are causative agents, for intentions and actions that spring from these views.


pegmembra wrote:Opanayiko(Leading inwards),

I always thought, opanayiko means leading onwards, not inwards. But I am no Pali expert.[/quote]


I think self-view as a self-fulfilling prophecy makes some sense.

:shrug:
Last edited by perkele on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mkoll
Posts: 4822
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby Mkoll » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:33 am

silver surfer wrote:
SarathW wrote:
If I do not eliminate the self view in this life I will continue in to the future.


I don't really think there is a future. There is just now - which we experience, and the memory of the past - which we're mentally and physically built on. What we know as 'future' is only mental fabrications.

Basically, this is the future. This is the one-life and practically, there is no rebirth, because rebirth doesn't matter, it is absolutely irrelevant, not something related to sensory experience. There is just 'now', and now is suffering.

Can't possibly be commenting on an arahant's perception, since I know nothing about it (not to mention I've never seen anything of it other than on paper).

:anjali:

The Buddha, as shown by the Pali Canon, was quite clear that there are three times: past, future, present. This is in many suttas. Here is one where you'll notice that the approach to the sense-base in each time is different, underscoring a reason for why he differentiated between them in the first place.
SN 35.7 wrote:At Savatthi. “Bhikkhus, the eye is impermanent, both of the past and the future, not to speak of the present. Seeing thus, bhikkhus, the instructed noble disciple is indifferent towards the eye of the past; he does not seek delight in the eye of the future; and he is practising for revulsion towards the eye of the present, for its fading away and cessation.

“The ear is impermanent … The nose is impermanent … The tongue is impermanent … The body is impermanent … The mind is impermanent, both of the past and the future, not to speak of the present. Seeing thus, bhikkhus, the instructed noble disciple is indifferent towards the mind of the past … for its fading away and cessation.”


He was also quite clear that there is rebirth and that it does matter. I should hope there's no need to cite evidence of this as it's elementary.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

SarathW
Posts: 4219
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby SarathW » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:52 am

Yes, conventional or relative sense there is a past, present and a future.
Ultimate sense they all just the impermanence (change)
When we look at a conventional clock we can see the present past and future to some degree.
But if we look at an atomic clock it will not be the same.
What is the smallest part of the time?
:thinking:

User avatar
srivijaya
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:31 pm
Location: UK

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby srivijaya » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:40 am

SarathW wrote:What this mean is that we can't trust the information coming from six sense media. Hence we should not attach or averse to them. We should exercise the perfect equanimity for them.

I don't think it's a question of whether we can trust the information coming from the six sense media or not. It's not a question of whether things ultimately exist or not - or to what extent they do or don't exist. To what extent the "illusion" of reality tricks us etc. etc. etc.

All that matters is how we respond to that information. Is it an habitual conditioned response or are we able to use that opportunity as a release.

SarathW
Posts: 4219
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby SarathW » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Thanks Srivijaya.
:)

Bundokji
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: Is self view, a self fulfilling prophecy?

Postby Bundokji » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:05 am

In my mind, it seems that our inability to see where self view comes from makes us limited by it, hence we think that the "I" is something original :smile:
"The most difficult thing to learn is something we think we know already"
J.K


Return to “General Theravāda discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: D1W1, Spiny Norman and 7 guests

Google Saffron, Theravada Search Engine