Virapannyo

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Virapannyo

Postby dhammatestimony » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:08 am

When I was in Thailand, I listened to a Dhamma reflection by Tan Ajahn Jayasaro in which he mentioned of a monk called Virapannyo. I want to know more about this monk. If anyone has more information on this monk, then please provide it here.
dhammatestimony

Re: Virapannyo

Postby upekha » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:37 am

I have a book called "Venerable Father, A life with Ajahn Chah written by Paul Breiter". At one time he was a monk under Ajahn Chah but his name was Ven. Varapanyo. I wonder if this is the same monk.

with metta
upekha

Postby dhammatestimony » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:58 am

The reason why I ask this is because ever since I left the monastery from Thailand, I'm being contacted by 4 monks in my mind who are saying that I'm Virapannyo and need to perform certain procedures on me to determine whether I'm Virapannyo or not. They've kept me tied up for 4 months now, they are not at all leaving me alone. For the past 4 months they have performed all kinds of strange procedures on me(details of which are too vast to disclose) and are not at all letting me go. The names of the monks they are using are Luang Por Liem, Ajahn Kevali, Ajahn Siripannyo and Ajahn Jayasaro, I don't know whether the real monks are involved or not, however Tan Ajahn Jayasaro seems the most real since I've heard many of his Dhamma talks.
I'm almost being kept hostage they are not at all leaving me alone, I don't know what to do. They have different sorts of mind control techniques. They are telling me that they are almost like asuras and are not at all letting me go. Tan Ajahn Jayasaro told me to play Paritta chanting and it did not help me at all, so that incase they are some kind of evil spirit, it might go away.
They want to expose this Virapannyo character at any cost, that's why they are keeping me hostage. Even the message that I'm writing now might me due to something that they might have introduced in my mind.I don't know what to do I'm completely helpless.
dhammatestimony

Postby Viscid » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:37 am

See a doctor.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Viscid

Postby LG2V » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:59 pm

dhammatestimony,

It seems more like you're experiencing forms of psychosis. Try avoiding wheat/gluten and dairy, as well as any drugs and alcohol, for a while and take some B-Vitamins. That may alleviate your problems somewhat. Studies have shown gluten/dairy intolerance to be a significant element in cases of schizophrenia. Cannabis use and B-Vitamin deficiency have been shown to be significant factors as well.

i don't believe that Ajahn Jayasaro, or any of the others, for that matter, are inside of your head. I'm certain that they aren't concerned with you at all, to be quite honest.

Viscid wrote:See a doctor.

:goodpost:

Metta,
LG2V
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
LG2V

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:07 am

Hi Dhammatestimony, not trying to offend you, but it honestly seems like you have some form of schizophrenia. Don't worry, you're in good company, there are plenty of the fine men who have schizophrenia. John Nash for example.

It's really important that you see a doctor about this, as you are clearly experiencing hallucinations. They can prescribe you some very good medication these days that work wonders and still allow you to function completely normally.

Please seek help my friend :)

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:52 am

Yes, please see a pstchiatrist. You're noit well, at all!
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:54 am

It may not be schizophrenia. Let's not jump to conclusions. But it seems like psychosis, so see a doctor as soon as you can.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:04 am

Yes, well you might be right, I'm just trying to remove any stigma there might be towards mental illness by pointing out someone who suffered from it who has achieved great things. Another good example is Stephen Fry who is a manic depressive.

Having suffered from depression and anxiety myself I know it's a topic many people are not comfortable discussing, but we need to do so, we must be comfortable addressing these things and not treating those who suffer from it any differently for it.

While he may not be suffering from schizophrenia, paranoid hallucinations such as those that our friend has mentioned above are often caused by it, so it's not exactly a wild guess, but perhaps you're right and I shouldn't go diagnosing people on the internet like that.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:33 am

BlackBird wrote:Yes, well you might be right, I'm just trying to remove any stigma there might be towards mental illness by pointing out someone who suffered from it who has achieved great things. Another good example is Stephen Fry who is a manic depressive.

Having suffered from depression and anxiety myself I know it's a topic many people are not comfortable discussing, but we need to do so, we must be comfortable addressing these things and not treating those who suffer from it any differently for it.

While he may not be suffering from schizophrenia, paranoid hallucinations such as those that our friend has mentioned above are often caused by it, so it's not exactly a wild guess, but perhaps you're right and I shouldn't go diagnosing people on the internet like that.

Yes, it was not a wild guess. The diagnosis schizophrenia is not straightforward at all. I was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia for almost 6 years, until the diagnosis was corrected to Asperger's syndrome with susceptibility to psychotic sympthoms. The thing is that what's going on in the brain is neurologicaly very different. The doctors who misdiagnosed me where experient trained psychiatrists and psychologists and they missed the correct diagnosis.

All this makes our main point: the poster should consult with a psychiatrist.
Modus.Ponens

Postby dhammatestimony » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 am

Modus.Ponens wrote:
BlackBird wrote:Yes, well you might be right, I'm just trying to remove any stigma there might be towards mental illness by pointing out someone who suffered from it who has achieved great things. Another good example is Stephen Fry who is a manic depressive.

Yes, it was not a wild guess. The diagnosis schizophrenia is not straightforward at all. I was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia for almost 6 years, until the diagnosis was corrected to Asperger's syndrome with susceptibility to psychotic sympthoms. The thing is that what's going on in the brain is neurologicaly very different. The doctors who misdiagnosed me where experient trained psychiatrists and psychologists and they missed the correct diagnosis.

I've already seen a psychiatrist, they said I have Paranoid Schizophrenia. The medication did not work.
dhammatestimony

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:07 am

dhammatestimony wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:

I've already seen a psychiatrist, they said I have Paranoid Schizophrenia. The medication did not work.

Please go see another doctor, make note to them that the medication they gave you didn't work, some medications do not work for certain people. There will certainly be something out there that does work for you, please don't give up hope. It's completely possible that with the right treatment you will be able to live a totally normal live without any interference from these voices. They will go away if you get the right treatment.

We're here for you man.

metta
Jack
Last edited by BlackBird on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackBird

Postby Alobha » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:07 am

dhammatestimony wrote:I've already seen a psychiatrist, they said I have Paranoid Schizophrenia. The medication did not work.

See a doctor again to talk about a change in medication, you may either need a different medicine or a different dosage, but this should be discussed with a doctor.
Take care and be well :anjali:
Alobha

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:47 pm

dhammatestimony wrote:I've already seen a psychiatrist, they said I have Paranoid Schizophrenia. The medication did not work.

Some medications don't work for certain people. You'll need to try another one.
Modus.Ponens

Postby dhammatestimony » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:35 pm

Alobha wrote:

See a doctor again to talk about a change in medication, you may either need a different medicine or a different dosage, but this should be discussed with a doctor.
Take care and be well :anjali:

I've already seen the doctor many times, seen multiple doctors and changed the medication many times. If it was schizophrenia, then how are these beings able to clean my mind by removing my mental defilements?
dhammatestimony

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:46 pm

They only appear to, it's just part of the hallucinations my friend. You must seek help. These voices are not real monks, they are just paranoid delusions.

It's really important that you go and seek more help. I cannot emphasise that enough.

metta
Jack
BlackBird

Postby dhammatestimony » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:36 am

BlackBird wrote:They only appear to, it's just part of the hallucinations my friend. You must seek help. These voices are not real monks, they are just paranoid delusions.

It's really important that you go and seek more help. I cannot emphasise that enough.

metta
Jack

I knew this would happen that people would just call me insane hence I didn't speak of the reason why I wanted to know. Anyway if anyone knows about Virapannyo, please post it here since I wasn't able to find anything about him on the internet.
dhammatestimony

Postby Ben » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:07 am

dhammatestimony wrote:The reason why I ask this is because ever since I left the monastery from Thailand, I'm being contacted by 4 monks in my mind who are saying that I'm Virapannyo and need to perform certain procedures on me to determine whether I'm Virapannyo or not. They've kept me tied up for 4 months now, they are not at all leaving me alone. For the past 4 months they have performed all kinds of strange procedures on me(details of which are too vast to disclose) and are not at all letting me go. The names of the monks they are using are Luang Por Liem, Ajahn Kevali, Ajahn Siripannyo and Ajahn Jayasaro, I don't know whether the real monks are involved or not, however Tan Ajahn Jayasaro seems the most real since I've heard many of his Dhamma talks.
I'm almost being kept hostage they are not at all leaving me alone, I don't know what to do. They have different sorts of mind control techniques. They are telling me that they are almost like asuras and are not at all letting me go. Tan Ajahn Jayasaro told me to play Paritta chanting and it did not help me at all, so that incase they are some kind of evil spirit, it might go away.
They want to expose this Virapannyo character at any cost, that's why they are keeping me hostage. Even the message that I'm writing now might me due to something that they might have introduced in my mind.I don't know what to do I'm completely helpless.

From our Terms of Service:

4. Members who are suffering from mental illnesses.

Dhamma Wheel is for the exploration and discussion of the Dhamma. While the aim of the Dhamma is to provide a path to the end of suffering, members of Dhamma Wheel are not qualified to deal with acute episodes of mental illness of another, as expressed on a discussion forum. The Administrators and Moderators of Dhamma Wheel request your compliance with regards to the following guidelines which is designed for the benefit of all:

-- Members who are suffering a serious mental illness should seek diagnosis and treatment from a qualified medical professional within their community. Members who are suffering from an acute phase of a mental illness, including intention to self harm and/or suicidal should seek immediate assistance. http://www.befrienders.org/index.asp
-- Members who are experiencing an acute phase of mental illness or suicidal ideation welcome to seek referral to medical and crisis services from administrators and moderators.
-- Members are asked not to use Dhamma Wheel as a platform to express intentions of self harm or suicide, the experience of voices or other hallucinations or other artefacts of acute mental illness.
-- When encountering a member suffering an acute episode of a mental illness, we should treat that member with compassion and refer that member to medical/emergency services within that person's community and to Dhamma Wheel staff.

kind regards,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Return to General Theravāda discussion