Pubbekatahetuvada, etc

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Lazy_eye

Pubbekatahetuvada, etc

Post by Lazy_eye »

Hi all,

The Buddha is said to have rejected pubbekatahetuvada (past-life determinism) as the explanation for phenomena, as well as two other explanations: (a) agency of a God, and b) pure chance. I am having a little trouble finding the sutta passages where the Buddha states his position with regard to these three wrong views. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
mikenz66

Re: Pubbekatahetuvada, etc

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Lazy Eye,

I'm not sure if there is one sutta that covers all of those views, but several are in:
DN 2 Samaññaphala Sutta: The Fruits of the Contemplative Life
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:anjali:
Mike
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Possibly related, again from the Digha Nikaya:
DN 9 wrote:...With regard to this, some said, 'A person's perception arises and ceases without cause, without reason. When it arises, one is percipient. When it ceases, one is not percipient.' [1] That's how one group described the ultimate cessation of perception.

..."Then someone else said, 'No, that's not how it is, for there are devas of great power, great potency. They draw perception in and out of a person. When they draw it in, one is percipient. When they draw it out, one is not percipient.' That's how one group described the ultimate cessation of perception.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Aha! I found it after a few minutes of trying different search terms:

It is the tittha sutta:
"There are brahmans & contemplatives who hold this teaching, hold this view: 'Whatever a person experiences — pleasant, painful, or neither pleasant nor painful — that is all caused by what was done in the past.' There are brahmans & contemplatives who hold this teaching, hold this view: 'Whatever a person experiences — pleasant, painful, or neither pleasant nor painful — that is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation.' There are brahmans & contemplatives who hold this teaching, hold this view: 'Whatever a person experiences — pleasant, painful, or neither pleasant nor painful — that is all without cause & without condition.'
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Lazy_eye

Post by Lazy_eye »

Thank you, all! I had looked this up a couple years ago and found a sutta, but now couldn't remember which one it was.

I believe it was the Tittha.

plwk

Post by plwk »