Investigating in terms of properties?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Buckwheat

Investigating in terms of properties?

Post by Buckwheat »

SN 22.57 PTS: S iii 61 CDB i 897
Sattatthana Sutta: Seven Bases
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"And how does a monk have three modes of investigation? There is the case where a monk investigates in terms of properties, investigates in terms of sense spheres, investigates in terms of dependent co-arising. This is how a monk has three modes of investigation.
Can anybody elaborate on this, especially the bit about investigating in terms of properties?

Thanks,
Scott
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
kirk5a

Re: Investigating in terms of properties?

Post by kirk5a »

"properties" is a translation for "dhātu". We can look at MN 140 Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta: An Analysis of the Properties for more about that.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

The more common translation of Dhātu is "elements":
The 4 physical elements dhātu or mahā-bhūta popularly called earth, water, fire and wind, are to be understood as the primary qualities of matter. ...
http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... dh%C4%81tu

"Properties" is a good variation in that it is less likely to be taken as "things" than the term "elements".

Here are some more references to suttas and commentary:
http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Bud ... dh%C4%81tu
Dhātu-vavatthāna: 'analysis or determining of the 4 elements', is described in Vis.M XI, 2, as the last of the 40 mental exercises see: bhāvanā In a condensed form this exercise is handed down in D. 22 and M. 10 see: satipatthāna but in detail explained in M. 28, 62, 140. The simile of the butcher in M. 10,Just, o Bhikkhus, as a skilled butcher or butcher's apprentice, after having slaughtered a cow and divided it into separate portions, should sit down at the junction of four highroads; just so does the disciple contemplate this body with regard to the elements; is thus explained in Vis.M XI.:;To the butcher, who rears the cow, brings it to the slaughter-house, ties it, puts it there, slaughters it, or looks at the slaughtered and dead cow, the idea 'cow' does not disappear as long as he has not yet cut the body open and taken it to pieces. As soon, however, as he sits down, after having cut it open and taken it to pieces, the idea 'cow' disappears to him, and the idea 'meat' arises. And he does not think: 'A cow do I sell, or 'A cow do they buy.' Just so, when the Bhikkhu formerly was still an ignorant worldling, layman or a homeless one, the ideas 'living being' or 'man' or 'individual' had not yet disappeared as long as he had not taken this body, whatever position or direction it had, to pieces and analysed it piece by piece. As soon, however, as he analysed this body into its elements, the idea 'living being' disappeared to him, and his mind became established in the contemplation of the elements.; - App..
:anjali:
Mike
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Oh, those properties. Originally that's what properties brought to mind, but it didn't seem to fit the context. I was wrong.
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.