another dilemma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

another dilemma

Postby befriend » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:30 pm

heres another moral dilemma that happens in real life. John Mcain was a POW he was given the opportunity to leave the torture camp. he stayed at the camp out of solidarity for his fellow soldiers. i would think his fellow soldiers would want him to leave, so they could rejoice in his freedom and safety. and now he put himself in a place of misery and pain. what do you think is the correct thing to do? the connection you make with a fellow soldier must be incredibly strong, and i can see where he is coming from, but if he really wanted to make the other soldiers happy i think he would have left the camp. what is your take on this?
befriend

Re: another dilemma

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:12 pm

From the wikipedia bio on John McCain:

In mid-1968, John S. McCain, Jr. was named commander of all U.S. forces in the Vietnam theater, and the North Vietnamese offered McCain early release[43] because they wanted to appear merciful for propaganda purposes,[44] and also to show other POWs that elite prisoners were willing to be treated preferentially.[43] McCain turned down the offer; he would only accept repatriation if every man taken in before him was released as well. Such early release was prohibited by the POW's interpretation of the military Code of Conduct: To prevent the enemy from using prisoners for propaganda, officers were to agree to be released in the order in which they were captured.[33]

Considering the above, I would say McCain made the right choice staying with his comrades. It was prohibited for him to leave and would have looked bad.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Sadge » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:02 pm

I don't know, the fellow prisoners may have felt comforted and strengthened by him staying. Go him!
Sadge

Postby mogg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:29 pm

I think John McCain's mistake was joining the navy and becoming a fighter/bomber pilot. Considering the numerous people he no doubt killed and maimed during his tenure in Vietnam, I think kammically, the problem you propose is the least of his problems.

By joining the military you are going to be placing yourself in all sorts of morally conflicted positions. Best to stay out of these 'wrong livelihood' professions and make life easier on yourself.

With metta.
mogg

Postby Coyote » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:20 pm

mogg wrote:I think John McCain's mistake was joining the navy and becoming a fighter/bomber pilot. Considering the numerous people he no doubt killed and maimed during his tenure in Vietnam, I think kammically, the problem you propose is the least of his problems.

By joining the military you are going to be placing yourself in all sorts of morally conflicted positions. Best to stay out of these 'wrong livelihood' professions and make life easier on yourself.

With metta.

Agreed. I still think he made the right choice though. Doing otherwise would have made himself look bad and been unfair to the other POWs. Despite this, if he was let free it would have been on the other POWs to rejoice in his good fortune and not resent him, theoretically.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby manas » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:42 pm

befriend wrote:heres another moral dilemma that happens in real life. John Mcain was a POW he was given the opportunity to leave the torture camp. he stayed at the camp out of solidarity for his fellow soldiers. i would think his fellow soldiers would want him to leave, so they could rejoice in his freedom and safety. and now he put himself in a place of misery and pain. what do you think is the correct thing to do? the connection you make with a fellow soldier must be incredibly strong, and i can see where he is coming from, but if he really wanted to make the other soldiers happy i think he would have left the camp. what is your take on this?

I/can/remember/hearing/about/it
although/im/on/the/left/side/of/politics
I/felt/respect/for/him/for/that
i/think/it/was/the/only/honourable
course/of/action

:anjali:
manas

Return to General Theravāda discussion