Ajahn Brahm for sale?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SamKR

Re: Ajahn Brahm for sale?

Post by SamKR »

tiltbillings wrote:
santa100 wrote:It'd be great if more monastics could provide their take on the matter:
Why? Is what Ven B doing that grave of an action?
No. But "Ajahn Brahm for Sale" does not sound good (to my ears). Funding can be raised for the nun's monastery directly without any "sale" or bidding of a monk. Maybe I am too literalist.
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

tiltbillings wrote:the selling of "Ajahn Brahm" as a way of doing things -- the "ad" -- was meant to be funny.
It's not only meant to be funny. The bidding is real, isn't it?
Last edited by SamKR on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

SamKR wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:the selling of "Ajahn Brahm" as a way of doing things -- the "ad" -- was meant to be funny.
It's not just meant to be funny. The bidding is real, isn't it?
And your point is?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

tiltbillings wrote:
SamKR wrote:
It's not just meant to be funny. The bidding is real, isn't it?
And your point is?
It's just that auction of a Dhamma teacher for teaching Dhamma does not sound good, as I posted above. Why it does not sound good to me? It just does not sound good, and there's no reason except my belief that Dhamma teaching should not be dependent on finance no matter where the funding goes.
Last edited by SamKR on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gena1480

Post by Gena1480 »

so i registered with dhammaloka community
there seems to be a fee for posting
but i have no idea how to pay this fee
can someone help.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

SamKR wrote: It's just that auction of a Dhamma teacher for teaching Dhamma does not sound good, as I posted above. Why it does not sound good to me? It just does not sound good, and there's no reason except my belief that Dhamma teaching should not be dependent on finance no matter where the funding goes.
And in light of what the other Ven B said, do you think the Ven Brahm is really, truly being auctioned?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

tiltbillings wrote:And in of what the other Ven B said, do you think the Ven Brahm is really, truly being auctioned?
Yes, I think Ven. Brahm is really, truly being auctioned (to be available for 7 days) according to Dhammaloka website.
Is there any reason I should understand it differently?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

SamKR wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:And in of what the other Ven B said, do you think the Ven Brahm is really, truly being auctioned?
Yes, I think Ven. Brahm is really, truly being auctioned (to be available for 7 days) according to Dhammaloka website.
And how is this different from spending time with a donor?

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

tiltbillings wrote:
SamKR wrote:
It's different because he will not even benefict directly from the donor's dana! So I fail to see the imorality here.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Modus.Ponens wrote:
It's different because he will not even benefict directly from the donor's dana! So I fail to see the imorality here.
I agree, and as I have said, opinions are going to vary, and sadly this conversation goes around in circles.

SamKR

Post by SamKR »

tiltbillings wrote:
SamKR wrote:
I feel it is very different: one is auction, not dana; the other can be dana.
I am not saying that it is immoral though, and I do not doubt about his good intentions.
Last edited by SamKR on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

SamKR wrote: I feel it is very different: one is auction, not dana. The other can be dana.
I am not saying that it is immoral though, and I do not doubt about his good intentions.
Of course it is dana; it is just having fun with dana.

SamKR

Post by SamKR »

tiltbillings wrote:having fun with dana.
Fun with Dana. Never heard or thought about it before.
Is having fun that important? I wonder what would be the fruit of this motive that is missing in Dana sutta.
Sorry if I sound too conservative, but I can't help myself but have a belief that Dhamma teaching should be with no financial strings attached.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

SamKR wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:having fun with dana.
Fun with Dana. Never heard or thought about it before.
Is having fun that important? I wonder what would be the fruit of this motive that is missing in Dana sutta?
Sorry, if I sound too conservative, but I can't help myself but have a belief that Dhamma teaching should be with no financial strings attached.
And I'll take Ajahn Brahmali's comments at face value, I don't see any string attached. Also, there should no fun of any sort ever associated with the Dhamma? Ajahn Brahm or any other teacher should never tell funny stories when giving a Dhamma talk? And if that is the case, then we should cut out of the suttas anything that suggests any sort of humor.

SamKR

Post by SamKR »

tiltbillings wrote:Also, there should no fun of any sort ever associated with the Dhamma? Ajahn Brahm or any other teacher should never tell funny stories when giving a Dhamma talk? And if that is the case, then we should cut out of the suttas anything that suggests any sort of humor.
I am not saying that fun should not be associated with the Dhamma; I am not sure about the limit of fun in Dhamma (though I also often think there is no fun when the world is burning). I am just saying that it is not so important that auctions should be held for teaching Dhamma and collecting funds.