License Agreements/ Terms of Use

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

License Agreements/ Terms of Use

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Does checking a box while installing a computer program, that says "I agree to the Terms of Use" violate the fourth precept, if you didn't actually read the Terms of Use?
Tom

Re: License Agreements/ Terms of Use

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Tricky one...I always think of this and do consider it breaking a precept despite the fact that no one reads EULAs etc.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:56 pm

ccharles wrote:Does checking a box while installing a computer program, that says "I agree to the Terms of Use" violate the fourth precept, if you didn't actually read the Terms of Use?

if you are agreeing to abide by the terms of use, not reading them yet agreeing to keep them is not a breach of the precept as you aren't saying you won't try to keep them, nor are you asked if you have read them (in your example).
If you are asked if you have read them then not reading them yet indicating you have would breach the precept.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby James the Giant » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:59 pm

I used to just click Yes. I never read those End User Agreements. And now Microsoft owns my kidneys, and the devil owns my soul. :cry:
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby SDC » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:42 pm

I don't think so. You're agreeing without reading because reading is hard and boring and you want what they are offering right now and could care less even if you promised your first born. Who knows what I owe half these major corporations. :tongue:
SDC

Postby SarathW » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:59 pm

It is impossible to read and understand those agreements unless you are a lawyer. We all assume that we understand the content based on our expectation and we are doing the right thing. I don’t think I am breaking the five precepts.
But I broke my bank once!!!!.
I signed a document sent by the bank without realising that I have mortgaged my house to them!
SarathW

Postby LonesomeYogurt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:43 am

In my opinion, agreeing to EULA by saying you've read it is not a lie because neither party expects the claim to be truthful; it's a mutually agreed-upon fiction that exists for legal purposes, not a declaration of truth.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta