Post by robertk »

Mkoll wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:Hmm, you really need to read the threads,
:jawdrop:

:computerproblem:

:alien:

:hello:

~~~
I couldn't understand the meaning, could you explain?
Mkoll

Re: The causes for wisdom

Post by Mkoll »

robertk wrote:I couldn't understand the meaning, could you explain?
It was a rather vague joke having to do with feigned and exaggerated indignation that only I probably got because I made it up. I'll explain anyway.

:jawdrop: :computerproblem: = surprised and indignant that mikenz66 would suggest that I read this gigantic thread: "omg no way"

:alien: = my butting out: "im outta here"

:hello: = my waving goodbye: "laterz"
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Mkoll wrote:surprised and indignant that mikenz66 would suggest that I read this gigantic thread: "omg no way"
I don't see any need to be indignant. I think it's an interesting discussion that addresses the important question of to what extent we actually have control over conditions from various points of view. While I have some disagreements with the Sujin model that Robert favours, if you look at the links I gave above, especially my partial transcription of a talk by Ajahn Amaro, you'll see that other teachers do discuss problems with tackling bhavana with wrong view.

:anjali:
Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mkoll wrote: :jawdrop: :computerproblem: = surprised and indignant that mikenz66 would suggest that I read this gigantic thread: "omg no way"
Actually, just read the first 20 pages of this, which is not too much, and likely you will be jawdropping and omg-ing with actual indignation. After that just jump in anywhere and read a bit here and there and
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

mikenz66 wrote:I don't see any need to be indignant.
Lol. It was a joke, or rather an attempt at one:
Mkoll wrote:feigned and exaggerated indignation
Remind me not to try that brand of humor again. :lol:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mkoll wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:I don't see any need to be indignant.
Lol. It was a joke, or rather an attempt at one:
Mkoll wrote:feigned and exaggerated indignation
Remind me not to try that brand of humor again. :lol:
Certainly it was a joke, but seriously read the first 20 pages, if you have not already.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

tiltbillings wrote:Certainly it was a joke, but seriously read the first 20 pages, if you have not already.
I just now skimmed the first 20 and I've seen enough.

I'll refrain from commenting.

:sage:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mkoll wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:Certainly it was a joke, but seriously read the first 20 pages, if you have not already.

But you should comment.

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I thought page 26 was useful.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

tiltbillings wrote:
Mkoll wrote:

But you should comment.
I will say that now that I have a better idea of what a "Sujin-notions of mindfulness" is, as you mentioned at the beginning of the page, I know not to touch it with a yojana-long pole.

:lol:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mkoll wrote: I will say that now that I have a better idea of what a "Sujin-notions of mindfulness" is, as you mentioned at the beginning of the page, I know not to touch it with a yojana-long pole.
I certainly understand, but on the other hand such discussions can be of value in that it helps clarify one's own understanding, especially when faced with an unusual point of view. Again, without question I can understand not wanting to engage in such a discussion.

ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Matthew Kusota’s impressions of the Sujin cult may be of interest:

The Abhidhammic theory of Ajaan Sujin Boriharnwanaket
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello ancientbuddhism, all,

There is no Sujin cult.

I attended a few of the regular study groups many years ago in Thailand. Her teachings and discussions are based on the the accepted Teachings of the Buddha in the Tipitaka and align with explanations by buddhist scholars.
There was no pressure or problem when I didn't hold the exactly same opinions as other members of the meeting.

I also met our Ven. Dhammanando and Bhikkhu Bodhi on separate occasions via this group.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:I attended a few of the regular study groups many years ago in Thailand. Her teachings and discussions are based on the the accepted Teachings of the Buddha in the Tipitaka and align with explanations by buddhist scholars.
That is, obviously, highly debatable.
There is no Sujin cult.
While I would not use the word cult in its pejorative sense, I certainly would use the word sectarian, in that she holds -- or certainly implies -- that she has the correct interpretation of the Dhamma and that those who try to practice meditation are acting, according to her distorted understanding of meditation practice, on lobha. And as we have seen in this thread there is a significant problem with her straw-man characterization of meditation practice that has been shown to fly in the face of what the suttas and the commentaries have to say. While there may be some virtue to Sujin practice, her teachings are, over all, highly idiosyncratic interpretations that are on the far margins.