job and working

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
K.Dhamma

job and working

Post by K.Dhamma »

I just can't seem to be happy at work. I keep trying to follow the "be in the moment" thing but it only works for so long. I am a social worker, but the stress just destroys me. I can't sleep right, insomnia, etcetera. How do I change my perception? I just can't seem to shake this feeling whenever i am at wor and I am about ready to put in my 2 weeks. What am I to do?
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
cooran

Re: job and working

Post by cooran »

Hello K.Dhamma,

Have you discussed the matter with your professional and operational supervisors?

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
K.Dhamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

Yes I have. They tell me that if I can't handle it then I need to move on. The stress comes from management as well as my clients.
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
ground

Post by ground »

Quit :sage:

Or change focus. if the job is stressful use it to find out how much you can bear or what kind of methods you can apply to bear it or bear it better. There has to be a benefit for yourself, if it is not the money then it may be to learn about dukkha and how to deal with it, to learn about yourself etc. Forget about the conventional purpose of the job, use it for your own benefit but be ready to quit if necessary. Do not appreciate the job. To lose the job is similar dying ... it may happen any time. Become detached from the job while doing it.
cbonanno

Post by cbonanno »

ground wrote:Quit :sage:

Or change focus. if the job is stressful use it to find out how much you can bear or what kind of methods you can apply to bear it or bear it better. There has to be a benefit for yourself, if it is not the money then it may be to learn about dukkha and how to deal with it, to learn about yourself etc. Forget about the conventional purpose of the job, use it for your own benefit but be ready to quit if necessary. Do not appreciate the job. To lose the job is similar dying ... it may happen any time. Become detached from the job while doing it.
Awesome. I like your point and it shows in the original question. Buddhism is not a teaching to be used to "change your perspective". The "be in the moment thing"...argh, oh what these new agers have wrought upon the Buddha's teaching. Being in the moment does not get rid of suffering, it is a full acceptance of suffering so you can examine it.
K.Dhamma

Post by K.Dhamma »

Ty ground and cbonano. After reading your post i did some deep thinking and had an "ah ha!" Moment. You are so right. I guess I was putting to much emphasis on the attachment to the job. I was giving it too much value and that appears to be causing my discomfort. I plan on quitting. The last 2 nights I have worked have been absolute hell.

Sorry for the new ager comments. It appears I am still green under the gills. I have a lot of learning to do. I appreciate all of your wise words, and I am planning on putting in my 2 weeks tomorrow.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi K.Dhamma
I have a very stressful job. I organise and communicate effectively.
I do the best I can do and am mindful about the stress.
Do not think monks’s life is not stressful. (my observation).
There is a book call “Three minute monkey management” Please read it.
You can't quit the life! Good luck.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”