Caught between normal life/ monk life

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Caught between normal life/ monk life

Postby Strive4Karuna » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:06 am

I feel like I have no choice in my life but to become a monk or recluse and dedicate my entire life to meditation. I have suffered greatly in my life, have always wished for a normal life (get a job maybe have a family) but I don't think it is what I was born to do. I am 19 years old but feel younger. I am a little kid inside who suffers from strong anxieties and I'm afraid to leave my family in order to become a monk. Some of you might not understand what I mean about feeling like I have no choice in life but to become a monk or recluse but you just got to trust me on this without asking questions about why I feel that way. Pretty much growing up in Toronto, Canada, dressing the way other kids dress, listening to the same music etc., its hard for me to do a complete 180 in my life from becoming a city slicker to becoming a monk. What should I do?
Strive4Karuna

Re: Caught between normal life/ monk life

Postby Ben » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:46 am

Greetings Strive4Karuna,
Attend some residential retreats and get established in Dhamma practice in daily life as a lay person first. If after some years of life as a lay person you are still interested in ordaning, then go for it.
with metta,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:42 am

Ben wrote:Greetings Strive4Karuna,
Attend some residential retreats and get established in Dhamma practice in daily life as a lay person first. If after some years of life as a lay person you are still interested in ordaning, then go for it.
with metta,

Ben

Seconded!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Alobha » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:16 pm

with metta,

Ben

Thirded.
Alobha

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Strive4Karuna wrote:I feel like I have no choice in my life but to become a monk or recluse and dedicate my entire life to meditation. I have suffered greatly in my life, have always wished for a normal life (get a job maybe have a family) but I don't think it is what I was born to do. I am 19 years old but feel younger. I am a little kid inside who suffers from strong anxieties and I'm afraid to leave my family in order to become a monk. Some of you might not understand what I mean about feeling like I have no choice in life but to become a monk or recluse but you just got to trust me on this without asking questions about why I feel that way. Pretty much growing up in Toronto, Canada, dressing the way other kids dress, listening to the same music etc., its hard for me to do a complete 180 in my life from becoming a city slicker to becoming a monk. What should I do?

Fourthed. May you find true happiness! :heart:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Yana » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:00 pm

with metta,

Ben

Fifthed! :smile:
Life is preparing for Death
Yana

Postby daverupa » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Don't take student loans or buy a car. Work and earn money to attend school if you like, but try to avoid long financial commitments because those can take choices away. Don't have children, or engage in activities which lead to them, for the same reason. Don't start smoking, ditto.

Then, you can relax and find your bliss without a rush.

:candle:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Chi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:27 am

with metta,

Ben

Fine. Sixthed. :jumping:
Do Good, Avoid Evil, Purify the Mind.
Chi

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:02 am

with metta,

Ben

Seventhed!
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:08 am

oh lord, I think I've created a monster!!!!
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby plwk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:46 am

oh lord, I think I've created a monster!!!!

yes and with my addition, it has 8 heads now :lol:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby tanhakhaya » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:04 pm

tanhakhaya

Postby steve19800 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Strive4Karuna wrote:I feel like I have no choice in my life but to become a monk or recluse and dedicate my entire life to meditation. I have suffered greatly in my life, have always wished for a normal life (get a job maybe have a family) but I don't think it is what I was born to do. I am 19 years old but feel younger. I am a little kid inside who suffers from strong anxieties and I'm afraid to leave my family in order to become a monk. Some of you might not understand what I mean about feeling like I have no choice in life but to become a monk or recluse but you just got to trust me on this without asking questions about why I feel that way. Pretty much growing up in Toronto, Canada, dressing the way other kids dress, listening to the same music etc., its hard for me to do a complete 180 in my life from becoming a city slicker to becoming a monk. What should I do?

I understand your situation. I know there are people who stuck in between, not sure for example they will be able to live a monk's life or just simply not ready yet just like you say separate from family. But at the same time you have the feeling that the lay people's life is not what we want to do, something is missing here.

In my opinion, take your time and you will know which decision is what you think best for you. Don't force yourself, let it flow naturally.
Try to participate in the retreat just like Ben said, 3 days, 10 days up to a month or more than that as you wish. Apart from this, I can assure you that you are not alone, life is a process, sometimes it takes time for things to settle down.
steve19800

Postby byronmajor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:56 am

Its my Kamma 9th.
byronmajor

Return to General Theravāda discussion