prostrations

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

prostrations

Postby befriend » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:57 pm

is it ok to do more than 3 prostrations, would doing them 15 minutes longer be acceptable, sorry stupid question maybe. im referring to kneeling on the floor, and raising your palms to you heart then touching in between the eyes etc...
befriend

Re: prostrations

Postby Ben » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:13 pm

What are you trying to achieve?
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby befriend » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 pm

im trying to stay more physical for health reasons. but also for spiritual reasons like cultivating humility.
befriend

Postby polarbuddha101 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:30 pm

I would recommend yoga then, not prostrating yourself. Yoga will help you with meditation by increasing your comfortable sitting time and the postures you can use and by making you aware of muscles and tendons in your body that you weren't previously aware of. Also, yoga will increase your knowledge of the breath and the variability and uses that it has.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
polarbuddha101

Postby daverupa » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 pm

befriend wrote:im trying to stay more physical for health reasons. but also for spiritual reasons like cultivating humility.

Just do some healthy exercise such that health is maintained. Spiritual approaches are best done in terms of satisampajanna practices during exercise (at all times, really), rather than a "spiritual exercise" in and of itself.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby befriend » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:57 pm

if someone knows how many times i can prostrate i dont know if its tradition or thai customs i dont want to do it improperly.
befriend

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:28 pm

A close friend of mine does prostrations for exercise, she also balances and other things that are on appearance quite eccentric like balancing, but she says it is really good!
she does them from standing up and don't know if it is like the Tibetans or in another way, but there is no reason why it would not be acceptable I am aware of.

Let us know how you find them of benefit and what you notice!

p.s. just make sure to protect your knees in some suitable way.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby befriend » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:08 am

thank you
befriend

Postby Ben » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:08 am

befriend wrote:im trying to stay more physical for health reasons. but also for spiritual reasons like cultivating humility.

You'll get better health benefits from different types of exercise such as brisk walking, swimming, circuit (cardio and weight) training, cycling, gardening etc.
For humility - its an artifact of spiritual progress. You could augment that with the ten recollections and include the sharing of merits as part of your practice.
Wishing you all the best,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:23 am

If you want to do prostrations for the reasons you suggest, then do so. It can be a good concentration practice. You might want to the full Tibetan style prostration.

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:07 am

There's also the way they do the 108 prostration practice in Korean Seon: http://www.koreanbuddhism.net/library/sangha_guide/view.asp?article_seq=376&page=1&search_key=&search_value= I did 3000 of these earlier this year and found it to be good exercise although bowing alone didn't seem to help much with improving my humility. Nonetheless, it's a practice I enjoy and tend to think of it as being analogous to circumnavigating Buddha rupas. Mettaya!
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 pm

Khalil Bodhi wrote:There's also the way they do the 108 prostration practice in Korean Seon: http://www.koreanbuddhism.net/library/sangha_guide/view.asp?article_seq=376&page=1&search_key=&search_value= I did 3000 of these earlier this year and found it to be good exercise although bowing alone didn't seem to help much with improving my humility. Nonetheless, it's a practice I enjoy and tend to think of it as being analogous to circumnavigating Buddha rupas. Mettaya!

:twothumbsup:
I didn't look at the link before going and looking for that page when I saw Korean Seon...
I found prostrating in a group or alone didn't help to improve humility but it was more the mental recitation of the three refuges or other chant for reflection helped more with positive mental states.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to General Theravāda discussion