Pleasure of Sixth Heaven

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pelletboy

Pleasure of Sixth Heaven

Post by pelletboy »

It is said that Maras dwell in the Sixth Heaven. If this is so, isn't that a dangerous place to live in? Wouldn't this be a not-so-fortunate birth? Is it written anywhere in Scriptures that elaborate on this heaven?
bodom

Re: Pleasure of Sixth Heaven

Post by bodom »

pelletboy wrote:It is said that Maras dwell in the Sixth Heaven. If this is so, isn't that a dangerous place to live in? Wouldn't this be a not-so-fortunate birth? Is it written anywhere in Scriptures that elaborate on this heaven?
Mara (defilements) dwells right here within our own minds in this very life. If we deal with him now we won't have to do battle with him in some future life.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

This isn't going to be terribly helpful but in one of the talks on this page - http://bodhimonastery.com/bm/about-budd ... ml?start=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bhikkhu Bodhi elaborates at length on Mara. Yes, Mara makes his abode in an isolated quarter of that realm.

edited to add: It's on that page, MN 50: Māratajjanīya Sutta — The Rebuke to Māra
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
pelletboy

Post by pelletboy »

rowboat wrote:This isn't going to be terribly helpful but in one of the talks on this page - http://bodhimonastery.com/bm/about-budd ... ml?start=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bhikkhu Bodhi elaborates at length on Mara. Yes, Mara makes his abode in an isolated quarter of that realm.

edited to add: It's on that page, MN 50: Māratajjanīya Sutta — The Rebuke to Māra
Thanks!
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

You're welcome. :)
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
manas

Post by manas »

Hi pelletboy
I have heard Mara described not only as a metaphor for defilements of heart-and-mind, but also as beings who actually try to hinder those striving for awakening. There is a page called 'The Thirty-one Planes of Existence' http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dham ... /loka.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and in it Mara is described as residing in the very highest realm of The Sensuous World (kama-loka), but just below the Brahma realm.

But, I too would advise not worrying about the dangers of possibly being reborn there...worry is one of the hindrances to meditation, after all! :D All we need concern ourselves with, is right here: this mind-and-body. There are enough dangers to watch out for here, anyway, never mind other realms!

with metta,
manas.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.