Happy Birthday Ben ! ! !

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
bodom

Re: Happy Birthday Ben ! ! !

Post by bodom »

Happy Birthday Ben!!!

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
andre9999

Post by andre9999 »

Happy birthday!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you everyone!
Its been one very busy day.
After last update - I did end up making another separate meal for my wife, kids and friends - jungle curry. The left-over lasagne was placed back into a hot oven that was left on and by the time it was discovered - it was a little overcooked - which didn't discourage my oldest son! My wife and two boys and our two friends drove the 90km to where I am situated. My wife and I sat as tasting judges for the students who presented their meals for judging. And we shared some cheese cake they brought down from "town". My wife, kids and our two friends then went home. While the students were washing up, I returned a call to my oldest, my daughter who is living in Melbourne studying medicine and chatted to her for about half an hour about her studies, hospital placements and her photography.
Then it was time to announce the winner of tonight's exercise - two boys who hadn't ever cooked curry before- one of whom had never tried it before. Their efforts were near perfect. Then it was time for birthday cake.
After the students went to bed - shared a cup of tea and a very thin slice of cheese cake with the staff.
And now its nearly time for bed.
Thanks again for all your kind wishes!
with Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

You had to work hard on your Birthday, Ben.

Hope it's been a good day for you and may you have a great year ahead!
_/|\_
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you Dan.
Seeing the look on people's faces when the food is well received - it makes it worthwhile. Introducing students to unfamiliar products and helping them develop some confidence and curiosity - its great too. Tomorrow I may get an opportunity to discuss with some of the students the ethics surrounding food during the 'poverty dinner' program. Gently and quietly introduce new ideas and give them a different perspective on how they interact with their world.
But I've been away for nearly two weeks now and I'm looking forward to going home on Friday afternoon!
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Vepacitta

Post by Vepacitta »

Happy birthday Ben!

:toast:

V.
I'm your friendly, neighbourhood Asura
serg_o

Post by serg_o »

Happy birthday, Ben!
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Happy Birthday Ben :)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Y24SNfH2Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Forgive me, I couldn't resist :)
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Mawk,

Though I found it entertaining and relevant - this'd be quite confronting to non-buddhists (and possibly to some buddhists).
Who played it? Sinsorium seems to be a blogger and website owner.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

Happy Birthday Ben! keep looking for the deathless ;)
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Mawkish1983 wrote:Happy Birthday Ben :)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Y24SNfH2Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

ROFL!

Two complaints:
They spelt death wrong.

And a guy could die three or four times during that songs duration. Its a tad long.

otherwise a great buddhist reflection.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Thank you all!
Mawkish1983 wrote:Happy Birthday Ben :)

Thanks Mawk, that certainly woke me up this morning!
And yes, its a great reflection.
Its the style of music my oldest son likes to play.
I'm sure he would love it!
kind regards

Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

christopher:::

Post by christopher::: »

Was that Retro on drums?

:smile:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

thereductor wrote:They spelt death wrong.
It's from a cartoon (Metallocalypse), the 'band' is called Dethklok. Lots of their songs spell death thay way, probably in honour of the band Megadeth (one of the founding fathers of thrash)
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
thereductor wrote:They spelt death wrong.
It's from a cartoon (Metallocalypse), the 'band' is called Dethklok. Lots of their songs spell death thay way, probably in honour of the band Megadeth (one of the founding fathers of thrash)
THAT IS NO EXCUSE! I will be appeased!
:tantrum: :lol: