The Test Series

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Sanghamitta

The Test Series

Post by Sanghamitta »

To Paul, Ben and Cooran..just to show you what an amazingly big hearted person i am I have just eaten a Vegemite sandwich in honour of that hat trick and Mike Hussey's 87... :smile:

Valerie.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
cooran

Re: The Test Series

Post by cooran »

Hello Valerie, all,

But …. Of course you did ….. what else is there to eat when a Test is in progress, unless … unless…. You’re not (gasp) a POM are you? (Not that there’s anything wrong with that …)

AND - BEST OF ALL - SOME CRICKET PHOTOS from the Test in Brisbane:
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/cricket/photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Actually, I was under the impression that the Aussie hippies got the Vegemite sandwich for free... :tongue:

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/ ... 00000f7300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
cooran

Post by cooran »

Love that song Mike! Thanks!

My son has a three day ticket and would be sitting as far away as possible from the Barmy Army

Though I hear some Aussies have started the Jarmy Army in competition, and are all wearing striped pyjamas. :toast:

Weather forecast is O.K.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/weather/qld/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Ben

Post by Ben »

Sanghamitta wrote:To Paul, Ben and Cooran..just to show you what an amazingly big hearted person i am I have just eaten a Vegemite sandwich in honour of that hat trick and Mike Hussey's 87... :smile:
Valerie, you are a jewel!
Vegemite is an acquired taste and one that's inaccessible to most people unless they grew up with it from birth. Its iconically Australian but probably one of our worst culinary 'representatives'. To be honest, I was never a big fan.
As for the Cricket, I hope its a great game. Where I'm going - I doubt I'll even hear about it!
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

I love Vegemite....but of course as a Pom I was brought up on its close relative Marmite...I must confess to preferring Vegemite, its that bit milder.
Which reminds me of the story of a friend who had a Swedish guest, who tasted Marmite for the first time and couldnt believe that anyone voluntarily ate it... :lol:
So after the guest had returned to Sweden my friend sent him the smallest size jar of Marmite for Christmas as a joke...the Swedish chap wrote back thanking him for " the ten years supply of Marmite "......
Anyway may the best team win... :thumbsup:
Enjoy Burma, Ben....keep us posted if you can.

:anjali:
Valerie.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
cooran

Post by cooran »

O.K. Ben,

Your task, should you agree to accept it, is to lift the standard of Burmese cricket, so that they win a game - any game, against any team:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myanmar_na ... icket_team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are in the ICC.

with metta
Chris
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Sanghamitta wrote:I love Vegemite....but of course as a Pom I was brought up on its close relative Marmite...I must confess to preferring Vegemite, its that bit milder.
Which reminds me of the story of a friend who had a Swedish guest, who tasted Marmite for the first time and couldnt believe that anyone voluntarily ate it... :lol:
So after the guest had returned to Sweden my friend sent him the smallest size jar of Marmite for Christmas as a joke...the Swedish chap wrote back thanking him for " the ten years supply of Marmite "......
Anyway may the best team win... :thumbsup:
Enjoy Burma, Ben....keep us posted if you can.

:anjali:
Valerie.
We had some Japanese exchange students staying with us a few years ago. They are incredibly polite guests and will therefore eat anything you offer them but even they drew the line at Vegemite, saying, "Our teachers said we should not even taste it because we couldn't help saying it was horrible," OWTTE.
We were a bit puzzled actually - it doesn't seem so different from Miso. :shrug:

By the way, Terry Pratchett came up with quite a good creation myth for the stuff.

:namaste:
Kim