to fulfill a promise

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Sanghamitta

Re: to fulfill a promise

Post by Sanghamitta »

Lovely pictures...nice to see young you Tilt and also the young Ajahn Munindo.
I remember him saying that when he went back to New Zealand to visit his family his mother refused to use his ordination name. ( which was different then , it was later changed at his request by Luang Por Sumedho..)
Anyway he would be in his robes talking to people who had come to see him and his mum would shout " Keith ! * Would you like anything ? ".
Mums are great levelers aren't they ?

When telling this he would do it in broad Kiwi so it came out like " Kayth ! "......and he would answer " yiss mather !"
Last edited by Sanghamitta on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The going for refuge is the door of entrance to the teachings of the Buddha.

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:Lovely pictures...nice to see young you Tilt and also the young Ajahn Munindo.
I remember him saying that when he went back to New Zealand to visit his family his mother refused to use his ordination name. ( which was different then , it was later changed at his request by Luang Por Sumedho..)
Anyway he would be in his robes talking to people who had come to see him and his mum would shout " Keith ! Would you like anything ? ".
Mums are great levelers aren't they ?
His folks were very conservative Christians and really were not wild about his choice of life, but as I remember from what he said, they were good people. And certainly Ven Munindo is one of nature's finer efforts, even before he toddled down the Path. Though I have not kept in touch with him, I do think about him from time to time. The photos I have seen of him, he looks like a man very happy within his own skin. If I were Jewish I'd say he is a real mench.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

A real mench indeed. Some of my happiest times have been listening to him addressing small groups, for which he has a kind of genius. The contact high lasts for days.

Actually Tilt did you ever spend time at Chithurst ? In your ordination pic you look very familiar.

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:A real mench indeed. Some of my happiest times have been listening to him addressing small groups, for which he has a kind of genius. The contact high lasts for days.

Actually Tilt did you ever spend time at Chithurst ? In your ordination pic you look very familiar.
Last time I was in England was 1975. So, who ever that good looking guy was, it was not me.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

It must have been your bhikkhu doppelganger..

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:It must have been your bhikkhu doppelganger..
As many times as I have had it said to me, "you must have a twin or a bother that looks just like you," I have never seen whom ever it was that looks just like me. Very strange.

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Wow Tilt, I've only just found this thread, thanks for sharing ! You were a monk with the Forest Tradition, which is now my own prefered practice tradition ...How amazing is that ! :D

Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

Wow, nice to see those photos. Must have been a good time. I was not even born in 1974.

About Mahayana: I always have something that strikes me as illogical and impossible about the Bodhisattva vow:
If you would promise to never become enlightened until everyone else does, then when a second person (anywhere!) takes that vow it immediately means that you promised to never become enlightened at all. There is a deadlock situation in the vow.
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Those are great Tilt thanks for sharing them with everyone. What a great experience that must have been for you! Very inspiring. I hope to have my own set of photos like that one day.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Aloka wrote:Wow Tilt, I've only just found this thread, thanks for sharing ! You were a monk with the Forest Tradition, which is now my own prefered practice tradition ...How amazing is that ! :D

Not a monk in the forest tradition. I was a novice living in Bangkok. Keith (later to become Ajahn Munindo) went on to become a student of Ajahn Chah and Ajahn Sumedho. I went home after about four months or so. Had I stayed, would I have ended up at Wat Ba Pong? Don't know, but maybe.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

bodom wrote:Those are great Tilt thanks for sharing them with everyone. What a great experience that must have been for you! Very inspiring. I hope to have my own set of photos like that one day.
You are welcome; I am glad you reminded me. I learned a lot from it while I was there and I learned a lot from it after going home.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Great pictures, so far we have:

Jackal (past life)
Novice (earlier life)

What about a current picture??
Sanghamitta

Post by Sanghamitta »

Cue a picture of a current... :smile:

Bhikku Bodhi.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sanghamitta wrote:Cue a picture of a current... :smile:
From a my recently ended Harley years:
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 2634 times

Ben

Post by Ben »

Nice photo, mate!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..