What is this?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
theravada_guy

What is this?

Post by theravada_guy »

Greetings all,

Please take a look at this and tell me what it is, because I have something similar to it, the only differences are minor, such as the man in the main image is different. What are these things? What are they used for? Should I have mine put somewhere where it's not folded up and stuffed in a drawer? (It came with my Thai Buddha pendant, so I'm kinda clueless when it comes to this thing.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pha-Yant-Yak-Wat-Ch ... ltDomain_0
With mettā,

TG
tiltbillings

Re: What is this?

Post by tiltbillings »

theravada_guy wrote:Greetings all,

Please take a look at this and tell me what it is, because I have something similar to it, the only differences are minor, such as the man in the main image is different. What are these things? What are they used for? Should I have mine put somewhere where it's not folded up and stuffed in a drawer? (It came with my Thai Buddha pendant, so I'm kinda clueless when it comes to this thing.)

Likely protective magick, but as for the details, others may be help be able to help you with that.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

Sacred geometry blessed by the monks.
This may help: yant yak

Metta
theravada_guy

Post by theravada_guy »

Thanks tilt and Anicca. I kinda thought maybe that it was a yantra after I had seen the term connected with Thai Buddhism somewhere. I definitely know what a yantra is from my Hindu days. Well, I kinda know what they are. I don't put any faith in such things anymore. I had a few yantras, one was under my Ganesh murthi, and the other was put where it was supposed to be to ward off negative vaastu dosa affects, or something like that. I never noticed anything moving more smoothly, even though both yantras were blessed in a Vedic ceremony from a reputable place. I did have faith in such things back then, but not anymore. Obviously, back then I held on strongly to belief in brahman and atman, both ideas I have been able to eradicate from my views, thinking, etc. Oh yeah, and I have definitely let go of the idea that the Buddha is an avatar of Vishnu. :tongue:

:buddha1:
With mettā,

TG
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

tiltbillings wrote:
theravada_guy wrote:Greetings all,

Likely protective magick, but as for the details, others may be help be able to help you with that.
yep
the script is khom (Khmer) and the guy is a yak, or giant, used to be the god of the north now a dhamma protector of sorts.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat