What's the story behind your user name?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Annapurna

Re: What's the story behind your user name?

Post by Annapurna »

Your thinking or intuition was quite right, wind. My real name begins with Anna. ;)

That's why I chose it.

Nanga Parbat and Annapurna are the deadliest mountains of the world, btw.

I used to watch Reinhold Messner's TV documentaries about his expeditions and was fascinated.

Mountains are very inspirational for me, topped only by the universe, of the worldly things. I used to sit in my window in summer nights, and stare into the starry sky when I was a girl.

I wondered where all this came from....how deep space is, when everything began...

Mountains give me a similar feeling, if they have eternal ice and rough weather, sometimes in storm clouds, sometimes breathtakingly beautiful in a sunrise. If they are hard to access.

Just magic.

They help me to transcend things if I am caught in a limited perception, somehow.

I'm sure someone here feels similarly...

:smile:

Miss Purna
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

acinteyya
I thought a lot about that which cannot or should not be thought in the past. Often I thought about what I am supposed to be when I'm not what I think I am. It nearly made me mad. Some day I stopped all of a sudden.

best wishes, acinteyyo
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Sanjog

Post by Sanjog »

It's my given name :sage:

Nice choice Annapurna, have you been to the mountain by the way?
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

I used my real name on some other forums, and that ended up causing me a lot of difficulties.

I am living with ADHD; redefining this as a a normal phenomenon rather than a disorder has been immensely helpful. So "Monkey Mind". I also thought about Jack Kornfield's analogy, "training the puppy", but that was just too clunky. At DharmaWheel I chose "ball-of-string" as my name, it is a reference to a sutta.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ben is short for Benedict, which is what my parents named me at birth.
All my friends and family know me as Ben - and you may as well too.
Benedict is latin for "blessed". I don;t consider myself as blessed, but I do this opportunity to practice and share the Dhamma.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
zavk

Post by zavk »

OcTavO wrote:
Kim O'Hara wrote::hello: OcTaVo!
Another Discworld fan!
:jumping:
Pratchett has more moral insight than most authors, as well as being far funnier. I recommend Discworld to everyone but some folks just don't get it ... their loss, I guess.
:namaste:
Kim
:toast:
Yep. More moral insight and I think a better understanding of science also. It's such a shame he has Alzheimers, it's sad that such a great mind will deteriorate so young. :(
In another life on another forum, I would perhaps like to call myself Bill Door, one of my favourite Discworld characters. :)

I've been using 'zavk' for many years now, and it could very well be a product of my own imagination. I thought I saw the name while thumbing through a book. But when I tried to look it up again, I couldn't find it. I think I must have misread some word. But I liked the way it looks and decided to use it because I'm not quite sure how it'd be pronounced.
With metta,
zavk
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Ben,
Ben wrote:Ben is short for Benedict, which is what my parents named me at birth.
All my friends and family know me as Ben - and you may as well too.
Benedict is latin for "blessed". I don;t consider myself as blessed, but I do this opportunity to practice and share the Dhamma.
That's cool. My son Bennett's name is a variation of Benedict, also meaning blessed. He's not yet a 'Ben', but maybe one day.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Sanjog wrote:It's my given name :sage:

Nice choice Annapurna,
Thank you, Sanjog.
have you been to the mountain by the way?
Only in my thoughts, many times. Not with this body. Have you?

What does your name mean? (Again?)

Metta,

Anna
Sanjog

Post by Sanjog »

Annapurna wrote:
Only in my thoughts, many times. Not with this body. Have you?
No, I never had the money to go(although I was a 17 year old back when I had the chance :P)

What does your name mean? (Again?)
Serendipity, maybe..

Metta.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Cooool! :twothumbsup:
Guy

Post by Guy »

My parents named me Guy when I was born.
Four types of letting go:

1) Giving; expecting nothing back in return
2) Throwing things away
3) Contentment; wanting to be here, not wanting to be anywhere else
4) "Teflon Mind"; having a mind which doesn't accumulate things

- Ajahn Brahm
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

the name I use online is the meaning of my name in pali!
using my actual name (David) can have its downside as it can be tricky to know who is being talked to when there is more than one david in the conversation, but how many manapas are there :)
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

I chose to name myself after Euclid, a Greek mathematician who published a textbook on Geometry called 'Elements' roughly 2300 years ago, amongst other things. Elements was considered the go-to textbook until only a few hundred years ago (meaning it was used for 2000 years) and Euclid is considered to be the father of geometry. His influence on human society as a whole was incredible, and it is very safe to say that if it were not for him, the society we live in today would be a very different one. While his legacy is truly epic, little to nothing is known about the man himself. I find this tragically sad, in a way. All I can do to show my appreciation for the man is to appreciate his works, and appreciate them I do.

While I will never possess the genius of Euclid, and will never be a comparable student of mathematics, I decided that I would adopt his name as my own on these forums to show my respect for him.

Hope you enjoyed this brief history lesson on mathematics, and I apologise for this post being somewhat longer than it probably needs to be! Hehehe.
chownah

Post by chownah »

I live in Thailand and in Thai "chownah" means a man who is so ruggedly handsome and has such a sparkling personality that the women have a hard time leaving him alone........it is such a perfect fit for me that it was a natural choice for my user name.

chownahhahhahahhaahhaha
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Stefan is my given name. It has Greek origins and means "wreath" or "crown".

In Bulgaria many people call me differently, for example: Stefan, Stefcho, Stefanako, Stefko, Stefancho, Stef, Stefi, Stefane, etc.. In Greek it is Stefanos, Stefano or Stefan. Generally I prefer to be called Stephen, Steve or Stevie by English speakers.