Petition to stop stoning

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
andrewuk

Petition to stop stoning

Post by andrewuk »

I saw this in Bhikkhu Bodhi's facebook and would like to share his message.

'15 people are on death row awaiting death by stoning in Iran, but yesterday a woman was saved from this brutal killing by a massive international campaign. Global voices of condemnation saved her. Now I just signed an urgent petition to the Iranian government to put an end this sickening brutality once and for all and I thought you would want to join me.'

http://www.avaaz.org/en/stop_stoning/?rc=fbwt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With metta,

Andrew
Meditate, don't be negligent, lest you may later regret it!
Annapurna

Re: Petition to stop stoning

Post by Annapurna »

Done!

I once watched on TV just a few seconds of the stoning of an Afghani teenage girl, who fell in love with a man from the wrong Muslim faith. ( I think)

I then saw more in a Youtube video and was more than shocked.

She was not buried, but lying on the marketplace.

A crowd of men had undressed her, so she was completely naked.

Her once beautiful face was bleeding, battered, bashed in, flat, almost like a pancake from stones thrown at her, but she was still alive and moving, slowly trying to roll over...it's impossible to find words for her suffering. The men angrily shook their fists into the sky. No compassion.

I had a few very angry moments that lasted for several weeks.

I'm glad I can sign a petition against stoning and hope that many more will too.

:evil:
Last edited by Annapurna on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Done
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
OcTavO

Post by OcTavO »

Done.
Tex

Post by Tex »

Done.

I don't even have the words for how much the idea of stoning a person to death bothers me.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Done.

The wonders of Sharia.
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

The whales got more reactions here...... :?
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Done.

Thanks for the heads up, Andrew.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I have added mine.
Terasi

Post by Terasi »

Done.
I really can't understand what is stoning for, it's so unnecessary to inflict such pain.
Reductor

Post by Reductor »

Annapurna wrote:The whales got more reactions here...... :?
I signed but I didn't comment. I suspect that this is the case with many on the forum.

Besides, these are people being stoned, so I doubt there would be any among us that would say "well, maybe this is not so big a deal..." or "the importance of this is ambiguous..." So, since the evilness of stoning is (likely) widely agreed upon there seems to me less cause for comment, except to say "Awww, that's no good!" Which is true, but not very helpful nor insightful.