What is your area of expertise?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
tiltbillings

Re: What is your area of expertise?

Post by tiltbillings »

OcTavO wrote:(Not very Buddhist to plug ones website huh?)
It is neither nor. No problem doing so in the Lounge.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Gooood, 'cause I do so all the time!
pt1

Post by pt1 »

Kare wrote:It is interesting to see that music figures in quite a lot of postings here. Is there a special affinity between music/musicians and buddhism?
Maybe it's just that musicians have that incessant need for an audience, hence they're the ones who post most often ... Yeah, I'm an amateur musician too :)

Best wishes
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

Kare wrote:It would also be interesting if those who are musicians, would write a little about what instrument and what kind of music they are playing.
Percussion - everything from pre-cambrian to post modern - it all uses percussion!
Phra Chuntawongso

Post by Phra Chuntawongso »

I guess I am expert at getting it wrong.
So often I just seem to forget that suffering is neither mine,or is permanent.
I am a vipassana meditation teacher,but would not say I was an expert in this field,still a rookie. :anjali:
And crawling on the planets face,some insects called the human race.
Lost in time
Lost in space
And meaning
alan

Post by alan »

Hi Annica
You must be an Art Blakey fan!
alan

Post by alan »

Anicca--here is what happens to those who get too caught up in the percussion. http://www.flickr.com/photos/49904366@N06/4671115308/
Kare

Post by Kare »

alan wrote:Hi Annica
You must be an Art Blakey fan!
I'm a great fan of The Animal:

Mettāya,
Kåre
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Kare wrote:It is interesting to see that music figures in quite a lot of postings here. Is there a special affinity between music/musicians and buddhism?
I think it has more to do with "more male posters" than female posters..

I noticed that nearly all the men I know have a large collection of music while women don't...

Do you think it could have to do with usually women getting serenaded by male admirers and less vice versa?

Human birds, so to say?
:D
(I would not call it areas of expertise)? Well, Dhamma (of course), and ancient history and languages (and lots of other things ...)
History and languages here too. :popcorn: Nothing like a well researched history novel, docu or movie, -I used to abhor history and have learned in this new way a lot more than in school. :tongue:
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

PeterB wrote:I was in a rock band in the 60's.....The rest is silence, he said mysteriously.
Oh, no, just WHO are you, who -oo?? :twothumbsup:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

No, I am not Pete T. :smile: I should be so rich.
bodom

Post by bodom »

PeterB wrote:No, I am not Pete T. :smile: I should be so rich.
Peter Beckett? lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Beckett" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Anicca

Post by Anicca »

alan wrote:You must be an Art Blakey fan!
One of many!
Kare wrote:I'm a great fan of The Animal
Got plenty of the Animal style when needed - never enough of the Buddy Rich masterful finesse though!

Counting measures rest in the Orchestra taught meditation - huge periods of physical inactivity (sitting - hands in lap - vision going blurry) - yet you do not dare lose your place (mindfulness) - one pointedness focused on the music - 4 gazillion measures of changing meter Tchaikovsky to get to that single triangle 'ting'!

Improvisation taught anatta. There are pipelines of creativity that flow through the universe that can take many forms - one form being music. When the body becomes the conduit and the creativity flows through the body and out the instrument - magic happens.

So many times've been asked - "How do you do that?" - only possible answer: - "don't know - i didn't seem to do it - it just happened - can't recreate it..." after a tune, a bandmate - "Yeah - do that again next time!" - answer: "Do what? don't know how it happened..." truly times of not clinging to "what to play" - coupled with a complete willingness to go over the edge, beyond the boundary, to become completely lost in an unknown, uncharted territory - never mindlessly - always focused.
The less the ego - the more things happened that seemed humanly impossible. I can't explain how good it is to find the Buddha's teaching after all the decades of not knowing the Dhamma. It puts so many lifelong experiences in order.

Of course that was improvising - my wife cannot improvise but excels at interpretation - she knows instinctively how to make Mozart Mozart and Bach Bach, if you know what i mean ... but she can't make a lick of music without the black and white notes on paper to guide her... different strokes - different folks - but it is all Dhamma!
Tex

Post by Tex »

I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I'm pretty good with a piano and a guitar. After twenty years, there'd be something wrong if I wasn't.
"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -- Heraclitus
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

After all the responses so far, I don't know whether I should even bother mentioning my 'area of expertise' ... it's just too ordinary. :tongue:
I moved out of maths/physics and into music (mainly teaching) soon after leaving school, but I have kept in touch with science in general and particularly (over the last ten years or so) environmental sciences.

Actually, mentioning my music gives me a way to bounce off Tex's comment, 'After twenty years, there'd be something wrong if I wasn't [pretty good with a piano and a guitar].'
A top-level performer was giving a talk to (mostly) adult (mostly) amateurs about building performance skills, and someone asked him about how many years' practice it took to get to a certain level. He said something like, 'Years? Years don't tell you anything, don't matter at all. It's hours of practice that counts. You can play five minutes a week for ten years and get nowhere at all, or you can play eight hours a day for a month and improve out of sight. You know, I reckon we should be like airline pilots and say, "I have X hours on the instrument." That really means something.'
That airline pilot analogy really stayed with me and I have been quoting it to my students ever since.
To those of you who teach: it's yours now. Use it well.
To those who meditate (and isn't that all of us?): It's yours, too.
:meditate:
Kim