Thai phrase re: Buddhism

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
withoutcolour

Thai phrase re: Buddhism

Post by withoutcolour »

Hey all,

I am going to Thailand (for a second time!) this summer, for three weeks, rehabilitating elephants through a volunteer/internship program in Phetchaburi. I love Thailand so much, and I especially love Thai Buddhism.
With that being said, I, like most tourists, want to get a tattoo while I'm there (and I'm doing a lot of extensive research about the safest and cleanest places to go, so no worries there). I've found a few places in Bangkok I think I might want to investigate.
Something within Buddhism that resonates with me personally is one of the three marks of existence, anicca, and I was thinking of getting that tattooed on me in Thai script (using the Thai term for anicca for the Pali written in Thai).
With that being said, I cannot find the Thai writing for anicca, however I have found a few similar phrases that I enjoy. I am looking for folks who speak Thai to confirm what I have found, that it really says what it says, and all that.
As a personal note, anicca also means a lot to me because when I was going through a rough time as a teenager (with severe depression and anxiety), my mother used to always say to me "This, too, shall pass." It just works so well together. And it will be a loving tribute to my mother's dedication during my time of need.

Anyway...
The word I found was: ปลงอนิจจัง, "plong anitchang," meaning "to become enlightened with regard to the impermanence of all that is," being broken up into two parts, being ปลง, bplohng, "stoic regarding something (a Buddhist way of reconciling with life's suffering)" and อนิจจัง, anitjang, "transient; unstable; not lasting; impermanent."
Found on Thai-language.com.

So what do you guys think? Does that work or can you think of something that works better?
Any advice would be welcome.

-wc

EDIT: I did find the word impermanence by itself (อนิจจตา, anitjadtaa). I'm not sure how I feel though. I *really* like the one I wrote in huge letters above, but I'm not sure if it's correct grammar to put a verb on your back, or if it should be conjugated in some way first... Would it be like a Thai person getting the words "To be" on themselves, without conjugating it?
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
sabbe sattā sukhita hontu
Goofaholix

Re: Thai phrase re: Buddhism

Post by Goofaholix »

I showed it to my wife, she translated plong as freedom, so freedom through an understanding of impermanence.

I can't say I've ever seen Thais with textual tattoos though mostly mythical creatures or tribal designs, that sort of thing i suppose.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi withoutcolour
withoutcolour wrote:As a personal note, anicca also means a lot to me because when I was going through a rough time as a teenager (with severe depression and anxiety), my mother used to always say to me "This, too, shall pass." It just works so well together. And it will be a loving tribute to my mother's dedication during my time of need.
I don't mean to rain on your parade...
You might consider donating some money to a temple or offering lunch dana to some monks and dedicating the merit to your mother. Also, never forget to extend metta and dedicating merit to your parents as part of your daily practice.
metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

Thank you both for your replies.

Goofaholix -- thank you for taking the time to ask your wife. I'm glad to hear it is roughly what I thought it was. I know the Thais tend not to have script tattoos (unless you count the lines of script in sakyant, usually incorporated into other designs), and I love the designs, I just have no place on my body to put any of them, nor do I have the time to get something that large heh.
And Ben, no worries. Honestly, my mother and I also share a love for tattoos... and I am attempting to collect a lot of dhamma tats... I've got two so far...
But, yeah, I am definitely donating some money to wats while I am there; in fact, the elephant rehab center I will be volunteering at is located at a wat in Phetchaburi. I am spending two days in Bangkok to visit the famous temples too.
I just wanted something to remember my time in Thailand by -- and I love Thai script, it is beautiful. I've definitely fallen in love with Thailand. :)

-wc
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
withoutcolour

Post by withoutcolour »

Aww I sorta wished I had more input that two people. THAI SPEAKING WORLD, read this!!!
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

withoutcolour wrote:Aww I sorta wished I had more input that two people. THAI SPEAKING WORLD, read this!!!
Try http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? for some helpful people who know Thai...

e.g. http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/search. ... ery=tattoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike