Pictures that prove Australia is the Craziest

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
cooran

Pictures that prove Australia is the Craziest

Post by cooran »

Pictures that prove Australia is the craziest
https://www.buzzfeed.com/simoncrerar/pi ... t?utm_term" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Come and see those of us still standing! :jumping:
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Mkoll

Re: Pictures that prove Australia is the Craziest

Post by Mkoll »

How is it in and around the big cities? I would guess that you encounter more unpleasant wildlife in rural areas. In the heart of a big city, it's unlikely you'll see most of that stuff...right?

How about this. Those of you from Australia or who've been there post in this thread your craziest real life encounter with wildlife. Firsthand or verified secondhand accounts only please.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Mkoll wrote:How is it in and around the big cities? I would guess that you encounter more unpleasant wildlife in rural areas. In the heart of a big city, it's unlikely you'll see most of that stuff...right?

How about this. Those of you from Australia or who've been there post in this thread your craziest real life encounter with wildlife. Firsthand or verified secondhand accounts only please.
Once, while I was in Melbourne, a bogan came up to me and asked me to go back to Vietnam. :tongue:
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Yes, most big cities don't have much to be concerned about. Mind you, funnelwebs are pretty common in and around Sydney and visiting a friend in Canberra once I found a huge one in his fancy web in the backyard. Canberra (the capital city) also has quite a lot of emus and kangaroos even in some leafier city areas. Millipedes are common around Melbourne (but are no bother really) and nasty jelly-fish are common in Queensland in some seasons (my mother once got stung by a box jelly and it was horrible.) We had a very long and pleasant encounter with a Cassowary once who followed us around on a track, but apparently they can be aggressive. Probably seasonal. My son-in-law once fished out a blue-ring octopus that stung him, but somehow didn't envenom. They are very gentle creatures and don't bite unless really really provoked. And if they do, you generally need to administer mouth to mouth, because the venom paralyses you and you would otherwise asphyxiate. Snakes? Yeah, there are venomous snakes even in suburban Melbourne very occasionally. I've seen quite a few over the years and you just don't bother them. And huntsman spiders. We used to have lots and my wife would scream a blood-curdling scream every time she'd see one and then I'd get the big jar out and resettle him in the park, but we haven't had one for a while. Magpies, which are different to what Europeans call magpies, but look similar, attack people in spring, especially bike-riders, so people attach funny things to their bike helmets to scare them off.

The craziest encounters for me have been with sea-lions. My wife once came across a sea-lion who crawled out of the water and decided to sun-bathe in the middle of the road. A ranger came on his 4wd and tried to scare him off but just got him aggravated and ended up in a long stand-off. But the funniest story was when a guy who lived close to the beach not far from us, came into his kitchen one morning and found a huge sea-lion on his kitchen floor. Came through the back door apparently. Mind you, down in Victoria, we have the tamest wild-life (after Tasmania).
_/|\_
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Dan's experiences are pretty normal for the southern (cooler, more densely populated) states.
I grew up on a farm in Victoria and experienced a few more close encounters than Dan, just because of the country life. As a kid, I was one step away from treading on a venomous snake - that I knew about afterwards :thinking: - half a dozen times. Huntsman spiders are big and hairy but timid and not very venomous so we didn't worry about them, and we didn't have the more dangerous funnelwebs in our area (more a Sydney thing).
I've been in a suburban house in the tropics from the last 20 years and it's different but not really much more dangerous.
3m - 5m pythons in ceiling spaces are common enough and people don't mind them because they "control" :evil: the possums (noisy little sods) and rats. Little (2 -3 m) freshwater crocs in the river nearby are moderately common and people still swim in the river because, again, the crocs are timid and not very dangerous. We wouldn't do it in rivers where the big saltwater crocs hang out, though, and I doubt that there would be one death per year across all of northern Australia from crocs. (One on the news today, though - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-17/m ... in/7423130)
We do have lots of venomous snakes, aggressive wasps, some paralysis ticks, centipedes, stone fish, box jellyfish, etc, etc, but avoiding them or dealing with their bites/stings/whatever is manageable. Local knowledge, really, plus common sense. :shrug:

But we do come up with some good stories and photos. :D

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

These are undeniably cute but you don't see them very often ...
drop-bear-cub.jpg
drop-bear-cub.jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 5194 times
:coffee:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

Then there is this evil SOB

Peter Dutton, MP.
Minister for Immigration.
enhanced-1714-1462255158-1.jpg
enhanced-1714-1462255158-1.jpg (24.88 KiB) Viewed 5180 times
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
kendali

Post by kendali »

Oh, the spiders ... :shock:

Does anyone know of a good way to handle the eviction of spiders? Yesterday I picked one up with a tissue and it almost crawled onto my hand. I am an arachnophobe. Sorry if this off-topic.
Buddhaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāmi.
Dhammaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāmi.
Saṇghaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāmi.

Not to do evil, to cultivate merit, to purify one's mind - this is the Teaching of the Buddhas. (Dhp 183)
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

kendali wrote:Oh, the spiders ... :shock:

Does anyone know of a good way to handle the eviction of spiders? Yesterday I picked one up with a tissue and it almost crawled onto my hand. I am an arachnophobe. Sorry if this off-topic.
I use a mason jar and an index card. I put the jar over the spider, then I slide the index card under the jar being careful not to hurt the spider, then I carry it all outside.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Mkoll wrote:

I use a mason jar and an index card. I put the jar over the spider, then I slide the index card under the jar being careful not to hurt the spider, then I carry it all outside.
Yes, I use a glass coffee jar & a piece of card. It works well for wasps & flies walking up & down a window indoors too.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

You might still enjoy this - seriously. I reckon the headline is absolutely right. These little guys are unbelievably cute.
'Even arachnophobes love them': Sydney scientist's 'adorable' spider discovery
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-27/s ... ry/7443800

:namaste:
Kim
Ben

Post by Ben »

You just need a little perspective...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kBzVZd6FRUM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
samseva

Post by samseva »

Kim OHara wrote:These are undeniably cute but you don't see them very often ...

[Drop bear being fed human blood]
So to save this drop bear, they need to kill animals to feed it, but use donated human blood as well, which should be used for better purposes. It'll get used to the taste of human blood and what do you think will happen if or when they release it in the wild. Some people really don't think things out.
kendali

Post by kendali »

The drop bear isn't real ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buddhaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāmi.
Dhammaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāmi.
Saṇghaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāmi.

Not to do evil, to cultivate merit, to purify one's mind - this is the Teaching of the Buddhas. (Dhp 183)
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

samseva wrote:
Kim OHara wrote:These are undeniably cute but you don't see them very often ...

[Drop bear being fed human blood]
So to save this drop bear, they need to kill animals to feed it, but use donated human blood as well, which should be used for better purposes. It'll get used to the taste of human blood and what do you think will happen if or when they release it in the wild. Some people really don't think things out.
Oh, I dunno, it's not so different from hand-rearing lions and leopards at places like this one - http://chipangali.com. :tongue:

:popcorn:
Kim