European refugee crisis

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kim OHara

European refugee crisis

Post by Kim OHara »

Ben

Re: European refugee crisis

Post by Ben »

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I went to an Ajahn Amaro talk at Amaravati Monastery UK yesterday and in the question & answer session someone mentioned the refugee situation in Europe.

Ajahn Amaro said that one should put oneself in their position & imagine what it must be like having to leave one's home (or its ruins) and everything else behind, and then desperately fleeing on foot with one's family, to an unknown destination far away in a different part of the world, not knowing if any of you will even get there alive.

:anjali:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Where to go for how to help in Europe:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s ... do-to-help

:namaste:
Kim
robdog

Post by robdog »

Aloka wrote:I went to an Ajahn Amaro talk at Amaravati Monastery UK yesterday and in the question & answer session someone mentioned the refugee situation in Europe.

Ajahn Amaro said that one should put oneself in their position & imagine what it must be like having to leave one's home (or its ruins) and everything else behind, and then desperately fleeing on foot with one's family, to an unknown destination far away in a different part of the world, not knowing if any of you will even get there alive.

:anjali:

I agree we should put ourselves in their position. Many people i know are saying we should not help etc but i know for a fact if i was in their position i would be hoping someone somewhere was willing to help.

I notice this attitude though in many things today, people do not even for one moment put themselves in the position of people who are worse off than them. They just see things as not there problem and people should help themselves. If only these things were that simple.