(Dharma Puzzle) Which one is more special?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Spiny Norman

Re: (Dharma Puzzle) Which one is more special?

Post by Spiny Norman »

I think they're both really sweet, especially the small one. :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
thepea

Post by thepea »

The mani one.
sattva

Post by sattva »

The one viewing this reply.
http://www.chatzy.com/25904628501622
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

I must be missing something here. :shrug:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Maybe just another way to convey the message of Ud 1.10 ..
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

santa100 wrote:Maybe just another way to convey the message of Ud 1.10 ..
I don't understand that either. :tongue:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Spiny Norman wrote:
santa100 wrote:Maybe just another way to convey the message of Ud 1.10 ..
I don't understand that either. :tongue:
Yep, still lost here.

:broke:
santa100

Post by santa100 »

The way I see it, as long as there's something "more special", automatically there must be something that is "less special". One can't exist without the other. The differentiation results in picking and choosing which further reflects the deep rooted duality of desire and aversion. While this is fine and maybe necessary on the conventional level, the continuous reinforcement of the habits would hinder further progress on the path and that's pretty much the theme reflected in Ud 1.10: "In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen, etc.."
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

santa100 wrote:The way I see it, as long as there's something "more special", automatically there must be something that is "less special". One can't exist without the other. The differentiation results in picking and choosing which further reflects the deep rooted duality of desire and aversion. While this is fine and maybe necessary on the conventional level, the continuous reinforcement of the habits would hinder further progress on the path and that's pretty much the theme reflected in Ud 1.10: "In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen, etc.."
Well Bahiya became an arahant within a few seconds of hearing that teaching. That's the absolute, ultimate, summit, apex of the path that one can reach in this life.

Until arahantship for everybody else, there must be at least the most subtle forms of desire and aversion. Call it preference or inclination, if you will. For example, one engages in right effort with a preference/inclination for wholesome states over unwholesome ones.
SN 45.8 wrote:"And what, monks, is right effort?

"There is the case where a monk generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the non-arising of evil, unskillful qualities that have not yet arisen.

[ii] "He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the abandonment of evil, unskillful qualities that have arisen.

[iii] "He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the sake of the arising of skillful qualities that have not yet arisen.

[iv] "He generates desire, endeavors, activates persistence, upholds & exerts his intent for the maintenance, non-confusion, increase, plenitude, development, & culmination of skillful qualities that have arisen: This, monks, is called right effort."
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Mkoll wrote:Until arahantship for everybody else, there must be at least the most subtle forms of desire and aversion. Call it preference or inclination, if you will. For example, one engages in right effort with a preference/inclination for wholesome states over unwholesome ones.
Sure, and the keywords are highlighted. And the puzzle's picture also illustrated that. Had it depicted 2 pictures of a drunk man with a bottle of wine in his hand versus a picture of a man practicing sitting meditation, one'd certainly be encouraged to pick the latter over the former. Instead, the pictures seems to point to one's preference simply over sensual pleasantness, or basic attractive forms object toward the eye door and our instinctual attachment/aversion response toward them. This is what the Buddha cautioned us against in many of his teachings.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

That's a good analogy. Good post.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I don't know if we're on the right track here. I'm waiting for PimonratC to tell us the correct answer so I can claim my prize. :tongue:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Spiny Norman wrote:I don't know if we're on the right track here. I'm waiting for PimonratC to tell us the correct answer so I can claim my prize. :tongue:
:tongue:

I think santa100's explanation makes good sense even if it's not the answer PimonratC had in mind. :thumbsup: