Random Air Fare Question

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Random Air Fare Question

Postby Hickersonia » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:33 am

Hello friends,

I am sure to expose my ignorance as it pertains to travel with this question... but I suppose that is OK because it is essentially true.

I was considering the idea that I might try to fly from the US to Australia, but was shocked when the cheapest flights I could find were $2,500 per person. Is this fairly typical or am I looking in the wrong places? For my family of four, that is a little more than 1/3 of my yearly income...

I haven't flown since I was six years old (and obviously didn't have to pay for it then). If it costs that much to fly, I'll have to admit that I'll probably resign myself to never doing it because I just don't make that kind of money!
:rolleye:

Thanks in advance, friends. Please be well! :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Hickersonia

Re: Random Air Fare Question

Postby Dan74 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:48 am

Try expedia.com but be warned that should you cancel your flights, the chance of them refunding your fare is very slim. In my experience, they are good, as long as you don't need customer service.
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:29 am

Australia is a very long way from Europe or the US and we sort of get used to paying a lot to travel to either place. It means we plan ahead and try to make such a holiday as long as possible.
I'm not really sure but I doubt that you will find anything under $2000 per person.

Good luck!

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Dan74 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:50 am

Kim OHara wrote:Australia is a very long way from Europe or the US and we sort of get used to paying a lot to travel to either place. It means we plan ahead and try to make such a holiday as long as possible.
I'm not really sure but I doubt that you will find anything under $2000 per person.

Good luck!

Kim

I just looked for a fare to travel to NY (LA is cheaper) in April next year (to return in May) and it was about $AUS1700 (~$US1600). So it's possible.
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby Hickersonia » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:17 pm

I'll consider to explore the idea I suppose (on a much more long-term plan), although I was surprised that even fare from where I am to Los Angeles isn't even competitive with the price for all four of us to just rent a premium car, pay for gas, lodgings, and food and take a multi-day drive there and back.

For me by myself, that is one thing, but for all of us... just wow.

Good thing I was scoping out the costs before making any actual plans! :tongue:

Okay folks, back to your regularly scheduled programming. hee hee :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Hickersonia

Return to Lounge