Turning of the wheel

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Turning of the wheel

Postby Sanjay PS » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:05 am

Hello ,

In my 20 years of professional career i have come across good many people with deep reservoirs of calm , equanimity , poise and decorum . They do not mediate and find no meaning to do so . They use all their calm and poise to be calculative in aspiring their own well planned ends and to influence others towards the motive . Sila or morality for them remains only to be documented in moral studies books , yet they soon rebound to their states of calm and poise , when being heedless .

The only thing that comes to my mind when i meet such individuals is probably they are using up the fruits of their excellent merits done much earlier , and unfortunately in this life , they only understand the monetary terms of capitals and their interests accrued of investments , but do not draw a parallel to that with living . The Noble Truth of Suffering remains a shake of their heads , saying better to live in the real world.

Similarly , people who are endowed with beauty , grace , wealth , might . They take all these conditions for granted, little realizing these things came in the first place , since , along with their day to day efforts, inheritance and gene pool , they once were wise and performed deeds of merit , however , the merit of wisdom forsaking them , the cycle of life inevitably turns down its wheel in time .

Hence , to my family and children ,and others who show inclination , i always encourage its best to put in efforts so as to be dear to wisdom first , than to other ingredients of well-being .

sanjay
Sanjay PS

Re: Turning of the wheel

Postby santa100 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:57 pm

The Buddha: Licchavis, the manifestation of five gems is rare in the world. What five? (1) The manifestation of a Tathāgata, an Arahant, a Perfectly Enlightened One is rare in the world. (2) A person who can teach the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by a Tathāgata is rare in the world. (3) When the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by a Tathāgata has been taught, a person who can understand it is rare in the world. (4) When the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by a Tathāgata has been taught, a person who can understand it and practice in accordance with the Dhamma is rare in the world. (5) A grateful and thankful person is rare in the world. Licchavis, the manifestation of these five gems is rare in the world. ~~ AN 5.195 ~~
santa100

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:04 pm

Three kinds of individuals are found in the world — the blind, the one-eyed, and the two-eyed. (Andhasuttaṃ, Book of Threes)

1. The blind do not know there own welfare even for this life.
  2. The one-eyed know how to care for their own welfare in this existence, but cannot see the next existence.
  3. The two-eyed know how to care for their own welfare in this existence, and the next.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Sanjay PS » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:44 am

santa100 wrote:
The Buddha: Licchavis, the manifestation of five gems is rare in the world. What five? (1) The manifestation of a Tathāgata, an Arahant, a Perfectly Enlightened One is rare in the world. (2) A person who can teach the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by a Tathāgata is rare in the world. (3) When the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by a Tathāgata has been taught, a person who can understand it is rare in the world. (4) When the Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by a Tathāgata has been taught, a person who can understand it and practice in accordance with the Dhamma is rare in the world. (5) A grateful and thankful person is rare in the world. Licchavis, the manifestation of these five gems is rare in the world. ~~ AN 5.195 ~~

Thank you Santa .

These 5 gems have guided me when the darkness was overwhelming . i am grateful beyond words , and adjusting my life accordingly .

sanjay
Sanjay PS

Postby Sanjay PS » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:52 am

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Three kinds of individuals are found in the world — the blind, the one-eyed, and the two-eyed. (Andhasuttaṃ, Book of Threes)

1. The blind do not know there own welfare even for this life.
  2. The one-eyed know how to care for their own welfare in this existence, but cannot see the next existence.
  3. The two-eyed know how to care for their own welfare in this existence, and the next.

Thank you very much Venerable Sir .

i was pondering today the Andhasuttam , which you brought my attention to . Makes so much meaning .

thank you,
sanjay

The Buddha also said that there are four kinds of people in the world

Those who go from darkness to brightness , from darkness to darkness , from brightness to darkness and from brightness to brightness .

May i keep working working to fall in the former and latter, with your kind blessings and from the many Ariyas .
Sanjay PS

Return to Lounge