Electrical Signatures of Consciousness in the Dying Brain

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Electrical Signatures of Consciousness in the Dying Brain

Postby Kusala » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:19 am

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Re: Electrical Signatures of Consciousness in the Dying Brai

Postby Aloka » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:36 am

I first saw this report on the BBC website (and was sad to read that 9 rats had been killed for the experiment):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23672150

excerpt:

Commenting on the research, Dr Jason Braithwaite, of the University of Birmingham, said the phenomenon appeared to be the brain's "last hurrah".

"This is a very neat demonstration of an idea that's been around for a long time: that under certain unfamiliar and confusing circumstances - like near-death - the brain becomes overstimulated and hyperexcited," he said.

"Like 'fire raging through the brain', activity can surge through brain areas involved in conscious experience, furnishing all resultant perceptions with realer-than-real feelings and emotions."

But he added: "One limitation is that we do not know when, in time, the near-death experience really occurs. Perhaps it was before patients had anaesthesia, or at some safe point during an operation long before cardiac arrest.

"However, for those instances where experiences may occur around the time of cardiac arrest - or beyond it - these new findings provide further meat to the bones of the idea that the brain drives these fascinating and striking experiences"

Aloka

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:23 am

Furthermore, the authors observed nearly identical patterns in the dying brains of rats undergoing asphyxiation.
:(

The specious conclusions gleaned from this study isn't worth the implemented cruelty.

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
BubbaBuddhist

Postby lyndon taylor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:48 am

Or they could be completely wrong, and it is the actual near death experiences driving the brains spurt of activity, it kind of a which came first, the chicken or the egg scenario, either the brain activity stimulates near death experiences, or actual near death experiences stimulate brain activity.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John
lyndon taylor

Return to Lounge