Creativity

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Creativity

Postby greggorious » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:10 pm

I'm sure I've asked this question before, but can't remember if I got a response or not.
I work in the creative industry. I'm a musician and actor, and occasional writer and poet. Creativity is very important to me and my work, but I'm aware that my creativity comes from a place of 'desire', and in Buddhism aren't we meant to work towards eliminating desire? as it's desire that brings about rebirth. So with that in mind, would creativity be a 'bad' thing in terms of seeking freedom?
"The original heart/mind shines like pure, clear water with the sweetest taste. But if the heart is pure, is our practice over? No, we must not cling even to this purity. We must go beyond all duality, all concepts, all bad, all good, all pure, all impure. We must go beyond self and nonself, beyond birth and death. When we see with the eye of wisdom, we know that the true Buddha is timeless, unborn, unrelated to any body, any history, any image. Buddha is the ground of all being, the realization of the truth of the unmoving mind.” Ajahn Chah
greggorious

Re: Creativity

Postby Kusala » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:41 pm

greggorious wrote:I'm sure I've asked this question before, but can't remember if I got a response or not.
I work in the creative industry. I'm a musician and actor, and occasional writer and poet. Creativity is very important to me and my work, but I'm aware that my creativity comes from a place of 'desire', and in Buddhism aren't we meant to work towards eliminating desire? as it's desire that brings about rebirth. So with that in mind, would creativity be a 'bad' thing in terms of seeking freedom?

No. We need desire to end suffering. Desire in and itself is neutral.

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:51 pm

there were vinaya monastics in Japanese Zen at one/various point(s) and they were at times poets (including the "enlightened ones")... also there is a book of poetry by a Theravada Bhikkhu from Harnham (not to my taste but I am not a poetry fan specifically).
it is more to do with what qualities of mind you bring to your work, the Buddha wasn't ignorant of music and used music theory to describe how to walk the path. other Arahants were pleased with beauty also (and if I remember correctly, one in the Theragatha even comments on the beauty of music in the morning??????).

EDIT
I did however recently watch this which I thourally enjoyed
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby chownah » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:23 am

I'm not sure that creativity necessarily comes from desire. I guess it depends on how you define creativity. Can you give some kind of definition or explanation of what you mean?
chownah
chownah

Postby Kusala » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:29 am

greggorious wrote:I'm sure I've asked this question before, but can't remember if I got a response or not.

Meditation Makes You More Creative http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 102317.htm

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Postby Kusala » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:47 am

"Creativity can be described as letting go of certainties"
- Gail Sheehy

Homage to the Buddha

Homage to the Teachings
Kusala

Return to Lounge