In defence of smilies

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
BlackBird

Re: In defence of smilies

Post by BlackBird »

binocular wrote:Emoticons - not necessarily smileys, though - are useful for online communication, as they can help convey the intended tone of one's message. Spelling things out is sometimes too tedious, or takes away the edge.
Yes I agree with this. The mode of conversation on a forum is such that people can easily project the wrong emotions and intent upon other posts if said poster hasn't made his mood and intent a talking point. Emoticons are helpful in that case, especially when you wish to convey that what your saying isn't meant to be taken in a hostile manner :)
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
suriyopama

Re: In defence of smilies

Post by suriyopama »

binocular wrote:Emoticons - not necessarily smileys, though - are useful for online communication, as they can help convey the intended tone of one's message. Spelling things out is sometimes too tedious, or takes away the edge.
I entirely agree. Sometimes we write something in a colloquial mood, spontaneously and with no intention of adversity or harm, but since there is no visual contact, there is the risk that the other person could take it personally and too seriously. :shrug:

When our intentions are misinterpreted, sometimes we feel like we would like to :toilet:

That's why we need those little funny characters :thumbsup: