Conspiracy nuts, gay marriage, and immigration.

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: Conspiracy nuts, gay marriage, and immigration.

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:35 am

Dan74 wrote:Regarding that other thread, I have talked to people and thought more about it, and I am not sure this is such a good thing (Prism, I mean).

I mean for the government to have access to all this communication and have no judicial oversight is fraught with danger. Would Watergate have come out? Would Irangate have come out, if the government had access to all the communications, could easily find out journalists' informers? And so much more. You might want to have a look at this report from The Young Turks:

So we should be careful not to be too quick to label people conspiracy nuts. On the other hand, when this stuff goes on and the mainstream media is controlled by special interests, many people go overboard and fall into conspiratorial mindsets...

Good post Dan.

I think what is clear about the world we live in is that Corporations have the ability to (and often excersise the right to) operate with virtually no morals when the situation is in their interests to do so. The incessant political lobbying and money driven system in US politics has led it all to an absolute grid lock traffic jam of sorts where nothing meaningful is able to be accomplished unless it's in the corporate favour.

On the other side of the coin you've got a rampant government made up of various cancerous cells such as the Department of Homeland security, the NSA, CIA, DEA all that which the military industrial complex feeds off, that just wants to grow bigger and have more control and grow bigger and have more control, and part of that control is found in keeping very big secrets from us, secrets about what they do behind closed doors, about their actions to gain more control and power - Secrets that if they got out - Would cause scandal and would be public relations nightmares, that might cost some powerful men their livelyhoods. There's a lot that these people just do not want you to know - And over the years there has been various whistleblowers - Watergate, Iran-contra, Abu Ghraib, Julian Assange and Bradley Manning and now Edward Snowden.

There's nothing conspiritorial about it. It's the cold hard truth. Ain't no missiles blowing up pentagons, or bombs blowing up twin towers, or magic bullets from gunmen atop grassy knolls, or lizards controlling the world.

There's just a gigantic cancerous overbearing government that is willing to do whatever it likes to achieve it's ends, and a bunch of monpolistic power hungry corporations who feed it, and in return expect favours.

It's not big brother, it's like a whole clan of big evil sisters, and we're cinderalla, at home washing the dishes and being slaves while our Sisters are out having a grand ol' time at the ball, and you best believe they've got secrets they want to keep from us, it's in their best interests to do so.

I listen to a very good podcast by a historian named Dan Carlin called 'Common Sense', I think it's very enlightening as to the current situation in US politics and geopolitics in general. Very interesting indeed.
http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/cs
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:46 am

BlackBird wrote: . . .
Heavy, man. What are you going to do about it?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:53 am

tiltbillings wrote:

I'm gonna sit on my butt and close my eyes and watch my breath.

How's that sit with you?
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:01 am

BlackBird wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:

I'm gonna sit on my butt and close my eyes and watch my breath.

How's that sit with you?
What you do is your choice. It matters not to me.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:18 am

tiltbillings wrote:What you do is your choice. It matters not to me.

If it doesn't matter to you, why did you ask this:
tiltbillings wrote:What are you going to do about it?
?

metta ;)
Jack
BlackBird

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:23 am

BlackBird wrote:

?

metta ;)
Jack
A mild case of curiosity as to what one does when faced with such an overwhelming circumstance so totally beyond one's control.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:41 am

tiltbillings wrote:
BlackBird wrote:

?

metta ;)
Jack
A mild case of curiosity as to what one does when faced with such an overwhelming circumstance so totally beyond one's control.

Fair enough then. I don't think there's much we can do as individuals. I would happily try and help subvert the system in a nonviolent way if the situation arose. But I do not think it possible to enact lasting meaningful change. I go back to Dan Carlin and another of his podcasts called Hardcore History, in several episodes he gives a very detailed description of the attempts of reformers during the Roman republic, every attempt was subverted in some way by the senators, be it by assassination or subterfuge, those who stuck their neck out for the republic soon found themselves without a head.

I'm hoping to pursue a career in journalism for a bit, but I have no illusions that beyond attempting to break a few meaningful stories, there's not much chance at meaningful change - The old saying of leading a horse to water comes to mind. It simply offers a chance to pay off my extensive debt and do something I enjoy and would find mentally stimulating. I'd rather retire early and young to a monastery where I can live out my days as a monk practicing Dhamma.
BlackBird

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:50 am

Ah, the dystopian future. Will it be Logan's Run or the Hunger Games or Walt Disney?
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:56 am

Enlightened by 30 when your hand prism turns black? I doubt it.
BlackBird

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:00 am

BlackBird wrote:Enlightened by 30 when your hand prism turns black? I doubt it.
If it serves the great industrial-military-governmental complex and Wal-Mart, it could happen.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 am

tiltbillings wrote:
BlackBird wrote:Enlightened by 30 when your hand prism turns black? I doubt it.
If it serves the great industrial-military-governmental complex and Wal-Mart, it could happen.

Oh I don't doubt that, I doubt whether many people, myself included, would be able to fufill the goal of the Dhamma in time is all. Given that, such prospects even if still well within the realms of science fiction, give food for thought, concerned thought.
BlackBird

Postby Sylvester » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:15 am

tiltbillings wrote:... Logan's Run ...

Yikes! Are you that old?

Nothing dystopian about Nurse Farrah, except her unhappy end

Sylvester

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:46 am

Sylvester wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:... Logan's Run ...

Yikes! Are you that old?

Nothing dystopian about Nurse Farrah, except her unhappy end

I prefer Jenny Agutter who had a happy ending, but there must be some explanation behind the unhappy ending of Farrah F. The Illuminati or the Free Masons, no doubt, sending an encrypted msg to the future Fox News and the Tea Party and the birthers and to Assange.
SN I, 38.

tiltbillings

Postby Sylvester » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:39 am

Assange was definitely Logan.

Sylvester

Postby Ben » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:00 am

I think Assange was only about six years old when Logan's Run was released.
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Mindstar » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:32 pm

Well i think its okay to know things but you have to apply the right attitude to it. Right View is what leads to peace, freedom and happiness. Letting go of things especially when you are anyway not able to do something... peace is indeed the highest happiness.
Wherever he goes, there he is unafraid.. Wherever he sleeps, there he is unalarmed!
The nights and days does neither touch nor burn him. He sees nothing in this world
that is to be kept or lost.. Therefore his mind dwells in goodwill and gentle kindness
towards all beings until he falls asleep.
SN I 110
Mindstar

Postby alan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Real Buddhists aren't afraid to point out the truth.
"Empathy" goes only so far. Someone has to stand up for what is right. I'll be that person.
These people are hateful:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 00,00.html
alan

Postby binocular » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:09 pm

Words are cheap.
binocular

Postby Vern Stevens » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:22 pm

I see the term "Real Buddhists" quite a bit. I was wondering if someone could provide me a definition or explanation as to who is a "Real Buddhist".
“What we think, we become.“ - The Buddha
Vern Stevens

Postby binocular » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Real Buddhism Syndrome (RBS), also known as Real Meditator Syndrome (RMS) or Pure Buddhist Syndrome (PBS), is a condition that tends to afflict many an aspiring Buddhist. It is characterized by the sufferer's conviction that he or she has supreme insight and attainment in the Dhamma and that everyone else is therefore really really obligated to follow him or her. The affliction tends to come in two distinctive forms: acute and chronic. The acute manifests in occasional bouts that last anywhere from a few present moments to a few weeks. The chronic persists consistently over a course of decades. While the acute form is readily amenable to advice and admonition from a trusted friend in the Dhamma, no remedy has been found for the chronic form.

Source: The Annals of Samsara
binocular

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge